Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WIFI Apple or Android Carplay

robdre09

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 RS ZB V6
make sure you have an android 9 or higher phone with the latest android auto installed
[/URL]

you plug the AAwireless into the port in the console then use your phone and pair to it via bluetooth, mine shows up as "AAWireless-Wlkbkbvn"

once paired you should start to see stuff pop up on the phone about android auto.
you might also need to go into the android auto settings on the phone and enable wireless

there is also an app that you can install to update the aawireless firmware and change its settings
[/URL]
Thanks Stooge, I will try when I get home tonight.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Thanks Stooge, I will try when I get home tonight.
i should add that you do not need that AAWireless app in the last link of my post, i dont use it or have it installed and the dongle works fine without it.

1qazwsx4

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB commodore sedan RS
I used AAW dongle since the first few batches were released and it's worked great - however I loved using custom apps via Android auto too and the custom gauges started getting hard to keep working correctly... I ended up ordering a dongle from AliExpress called carlinkit. It's an android box that is hacked to run using a wired carplay connection. If your car can use wired CARPLAY then you connect this device, the box then turns apple car play into a fully functioning android box. I'm talking torque, Netflix, YouTube, VLC - any app I've thrown at it works without needing my android phone too so no battery drain for using AAW. Has a sim slot for separate calling or data etc and SD slot. Can also use AAW from the same dongle but I have no need for it since the box has built in GPS too. My phone just uses calls via the inbuilt head unit and streams music via the SD card.
Only used it for a few days but so far pretty impressed...

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i finally got around to installing a usb hub and putting the AAWireless module up next to the silverbox under the dash and freeing up the console usb port for charging/usb music thumbdrive.

i just used a crappy usb hub that i had sitting around for years, any hub should work.

i did use a lm2596 voltage regulator set at 5.1v to power the usb hub so i could charge from the console port, it worked without it but i had the voltage reg in a drawer so i used it.

the parts list i used ended up being...

lm2596 Voltage Regulator
USB 2.0 Type A Male to Mini B 5 pin 5p female plug adapter
Mini USB Male To Type-A Female OTG Cable Adapter

there is not much to it, you just access the silverbox under the dash, its cover is held on by a 7mm bolt.
then unplug the console port and plug it into the Type A Male to Mini B adapter.
then plug the Mini USB Male To Type-A Female OTG Cable into the silverbox.
plug the AAWireless into the hub and push it all up into the void next to the silverbox and screw the cover back on.

parts
parts.jpg

all plugged up
partsa.jpg

connected to the silverbox
conn.jpg

this is the audio from a usb thumbdrive in the console port
usbaud.jpg

this is android auto via AAWireless
aaaud.jpg

aa.jpg

you probably dont need this but this is the lm2596 i used with a 3d printed case for it.
it just adds more voltage grunt to the hub but everything seemed happy without it.

lm2596.jpg

Reactions: Lex

robdre09

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 RS ZB V6
i finally got around to installing a usb hub and putting the AAWireless module up next to the silverbox under the dash and freeing up the console usb port for charging/usb music thumbdrive.

i just used a crappy usb hub that i had sitting around for years, any hub should work.

i did use a lm2596 voltage regulator set at 5.1v to power the usb hub so i could charge from the console port, it worked without it but i had the voltage reg in a drawer so i used it.

the parts list i used ended up being...

lm2596 Voltage Regulator
USB 2.0 Type A Male to Mini B 5 pin 5p female plug adapter
Mini USB Male To Type-A Female OTG Cable Adapter

there is not much to it, you just access the silverbox under the dash, its cover is held on by a 7mm bolt.
then unplug the console port and plug it into the Type A Male to Mini B adapter.
then plug the Mini USB Male To Type-A Female OTG Cable into the silverbox.
plug the AAWireless into the hub and push it all up into the void next to the silverbox and screw the cover back on.

parts
parts.jpg

all plugged up
partsa.jpg

connected to the silverbox
conn.jpg

this is the audio from a usb thumbdrive in the console port
usbaud.jpg

this is android auto via AAWireless
aaaud.jpg

aa.jpg

you probably dont need this but this is the lm2596 i used with a 3d printed case for it.
it just adds more voltage grunt to the hub but everything seemed happy without it.

lm2596.jpg

robdre09

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 RS ZB V6
Is there any ZB owner in Adelaide who has successfully got the AA wireless dongle to work with samsung galaxy s10.
I received my unit in Jan-22 and cannot get it to work. I get to the point where it says "finish setting on AA" on screen yet the unit does not display anything on the screen. Can someone assist. I would be more than willing to come to you.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Is there any ZB owner in Adelaide who has successfully got the AA wireless dongle to work with samsung galaxy s10.
I received my unit in Jan-22 and cannot get it to work. I get to the point where it says "finish setting on AA" on screen yet the unit does not display anything on the screen. Can someone assist. I would be more than willing to come to you.

go into the phone settings and goto apps then find android auto and delete the data and cache then try and connect it to the aawireless.
you are basically wiping all the previously stored settings for android auto by doing this.

i had that problem on my fold3 where it would connect and say continue on the vehicles screen but nothing was on the screen.
i worked out that it was trying to use the previously stored vehicle settings which was via usb because i had used the phone over usb cable.
once i deleted all of the settings for android auto the screen popped up on the vehicle when i connected it through aawireless.

Last edited:

robdre09

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 RS ZB V6
go into the phone settings and goto apps then find android auto and delete the data and cache then try and connect it to the aawireless.
you are basically wiping all the previously stored settings for android auto by doing this.

i had that problem on my fold3 where it would connect and say continue on the vehicles screen but nothing was on the screen.
i worked out that it was trying to use the previously stored vehicle settings which was via usb because i had used the phone over usb cable.
once i deleted all of the settings for android auto the screen popped up on the vehicle when i connected it through aawireless.
Stooge, your are a f**&^@ life saver. I tried what you said and bang it works flawlessly. Only had the unit since Jan-22.
Thanks so much for your help mate.

robdre09

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 RS ZB V6
Stooge, your are a f**&^@ life saver. I tried what you said and bang it works flawlessly. Only had the unit since Jan-22.
Thanks so much for your help mate.
Now that I have got that working is there a setting so it does not go open Maps by default but stays on the audio screen, that way I can select Maps only when I need to?

Chalks1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 CALAIS ZB V Tourer
I set my AAWireless up yesterday, is there a good forum etc for the best settings for Oz?

I tried making a call this morning but the car told me that no phone was connected to bluetooth. Do I just use google assistant now, hitting the steering wheel button did cancel the action?
You dont connect your phone to the bluetooth too do you, I thought the car was supposed to think my phone was connected to the system?

Cheers for any replies/buds of wisdom