Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Zb commorde haters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuffsed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais Sportswagon 08 LY7
Seems the same complaint pops up throughout this thread. The ZB has no V8 and is FWD. Seems this is why the ZB is not liked or not had great sales lol. Seems the Commodore still has it's bogan roots.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Seems the same complaint pops up throughout this thread. The ZB has no V8 and is FWD. Seems this is why the ZB is not liked or not had great sales lol. Seems the Commodore still has it's bogan roots.
Yep. Despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, it seems there are still those who believe that a V8 and RWD would have saved the Commodore.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Correct to a point. Yes our Commodore started as an import concept car. After some testing it was found wanting in many areas. Holden fitted Aussie engines and reworked the suspension to suit local conditions. Chassis wise they used 2 different models to make our Commodore. So yes, our Commodore started life as an Opel but by the time it hit the dealerships it very much had a lot of Aussie in it and not simple badge engineering as the current ZB. As the Commodore was developed over the various generations it became more Holden and less Opel till we reached the VE which was 100% ours.

The current ZB is less Commodore than the first VB that hit the showroom floor in 1978.

One of my Uncles actually owned a early 80's Opel Senator so I've seen one first hand. Shame I never got any pictures of it.

The ZB is doing well here in NZ because the police use em. I see multiple police ZB cars for every civvi one. Mind you, the ZB doesn't stand out in the crowd of Japanese cars and the roads are more crowded with oversized utes and SUV's these days which is all you see at my local Holden dealership yard.

The ZB isn't a bad car, it just isn't a Commodore.

I think they should have dropped the Commodore name completely , and kept the Insignia badge on it , I do think they look good in police livery , there are a couple of dark blue ,. highway patrol examples down my way , and with the day glow yellow stripping they certainly can't be missed . Also have seen two Acadia's in police colours too .

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think they should have dropped the Commodore name completely , and kept the Insignia badge on it , I do think they look good in police livery , there are a couple of dark blue ,. highway patrol examples down my way , and with the day glow yellow stripping they certainly can't be missed . Also have seen two Acadia's in police colours too .

I think we saw one of those Acadia's up around our way too recently.

Drove past Schofield Holden Dealership this week. They still have VF models sitting prominently at the front of the yard, not the ZB...

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Aussie built V8 cars = bogan. European built V8 cars = sophiticated. :confused:o_O

Hey ! Bogan …….. its spelled sophistficaterd, (nah) sofistacated, (nah) sofistycatid, (nah) sophyscated, (nah) …. so bloody expensive

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Aussie built V8 cars = cheap and therefore common; snobs considered it bogan.

European built V8 cars = expensive therefore rare; snobs considered it sophisticated.

:confused:o_O
Fixed it for you :p

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Also,
Aussie cars were built to last for decades and cheap to maintain for their lifetime, so they live long enough to end up in the hands of bogans.
Euro cars are built to be reliable for their first owner and expensive to maintain so are dead or too expensive to buy and maintain for bogans.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Euro cars are built to be reliable for their first owner and expensive to maintain so are dead or too expensive to buy and maintain for bogans.

If you can't afford to buy a new Euro car, you definitely can't afford to buy a second hand one.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Yep. Despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, it seems there are still those who believe that a V8 and RWD would have saved the Commodore.

No. The argument here is that it was called Commodore despite it having almost zero Commodore attributes.

Status
Not open for further replies.