Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Test Drove series 2 SS Redline Manual W407

OzTurtle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Redline
It's a baby cam 224/224 118 from memory, good street manners with a very minor burble, but does come with a warranty which for most is quite important.

ls3 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vfs2ss
What about fuel smell at idle? Or just after shutdown?
Thats a good question Kman, ive read that theres a fuel smell, but i forgot to mention it. When i drove it window was up at lights and when i stopped back i didnt smell anything that i can remember. I think with alot of Cams you get a bit of fuel smell, but if it was there i didnt smell it, and i was standing right next to the car.....

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Thats a good question Kman, ive read that theres a fuel smell, but i forgot to mention it. When i drove it window was up at lights and when i stopped back i didnt smell anything that i can remember. I think with alot of Cams you get a bit of fuel smell, but if it was there i didnt smell it, and i was standing right next to the car.....

Interesting. I would've thought they could've reduced the fuel smell issue by playing around with the tune.
Mine has a VCM 5SC cam and the fuel smell at idle is hideous.

Did the cam cause a surge when slowing down, as most cams have a tendency to do ?

W375 redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
W375 s2 redline
If you already have the w375 i think its about 5k, but if youve done more then 20k then they do lifters and new head bolts and gaskets which is an extra 1k. Im getting the head bolts and lifters done cos ive done more the 20k, plus im getting the short shifter as well. all for 6.100. Im getting looked after cos ive spent a bit in there
Hi ls : whats that short shifter like compared to the normal manual shifter : ive got the w407 : upgrade from w375 : mine gets a bit of fuel smell at idle but thats normal with a cam upgrade n yes above 3500 rpms is where the cam really delivers ☺

ls3 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vfs2ss
Interesting. I would've thought they could've reduced the fuel smell issue by playing around with the tune.
Mine has a VCM 5SC cam and the fuel smell at idle is hideous.

Did the cam cause a surge when slowing down, as most cams have a tendency to do ?
PeteSS........if there was a fuel smell there i didnt notice it. Id usually pick up on something like that.
When i drove it the sales rep and i stopped at servo to fuel up for the boss and the area was a bit tight,I i noticed immediately that you need more revs, it wasnt overly harsh but it was there, and could image roundabouts will be the same, and corners approaching in second gear in the burbs no stop sign and you can go, may need to stop and take first gear. Ive never driven a v8 with a cam, but ive read all about it. My last car was a turned FG XR6. so no such issues. I pick it up this morning so will update after ive been on a good drive

ls3 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vfs2ss
Hi ls : whats that short shifter like compared to the normal manual shifter : ive got the w407 : upgrade from w375 : mine gets a bit of fuel smell at idle but thats normal with a cam upgrade n yes above 3500 rpms is where the cam really delivers ☺
Hi W375 redline.. pulling out the car yard i thought , nup this shifter is shiiit, very tight and the cogs really close to the point you think its not in gear, but once i got used to that after a couple changes i really loved it. Feels like a race gearbox. Brett reckons that when you get used to it you will be smashing second to third, and it almost feels sequential, (straight up and down). Not that ill be doing that. But yeah love the feel.

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, VF2 Director, ZB RS-V Wagon
Awesome ls3 304, really looking forward to seeing some video and hearing that idle

W375 redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
W375 s2 redline
Hi W375 redline.. pulling out the car yard i thought , nup this shifter is shiiit, very tight and the cogs really close to the point you think its not in gear, but once i got used to that after a couple changes i really loved it. Feels like a race gearbox. Brett reckons that when you get used to it you will be smashing second to third, and it almost feels sequential, (straight up and down). Not that ill be doing that. But yeah love the feel.
Ok thanks ls ill b looking into it ☺

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
I really did not need to read this! :)

ls3 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vfs2ss
Ok Boys long post time. but heres my opinion......
I picked the car up at 11am, and have only just parked it up, to say that im happy is an understatement, i was worried that id made a mistake the last thing i wanted was a pig to drive, i had a SLR Torana as a kid with a big cam, good when your 19 but you soon tire of that. Im in my forties now, plus the with the w375 the road manners were good, but i wanted more power. Heres the thing coming from an xr6 turbo that was putting out 350kw i wanted more power, and the last thing i wanted was to get smoked by a bog stock xr6 turbo with my w375 kit on.

So i wanted more power but as im trying to pay my house of as quick as i could i didnt wanna put boost into it and spend 18k on it. Decided Cam time did my homework on the w407 and said just do it. What i love about Walkinshaw stuff is they have done the R N D and theres no way theyd put a stupid cam in it, especially if it needs warranty, so i trusted them

Ok hows it drive.... a hell of alot better then i thought, firstly its got a really nice idle, you really know its cammed, but driving it you wouldnt if that makes sense. Mine drives better then the test car i drove, Brett from FTP said how do i like the power, as in where do i want it and i said a bit more down low. So it was tuned, cam comes on at 2.800rpm right through to sign of time. There was no where any surge, coming back from the gym i noticed. In a 90 zone i could cruise in 6th gear, with this w407 i can too, but its close to the edge, also its got a **** load more bottom end power, you dont realise how gutless down low the w375 is, until you plant it in the w407 down low. All the power in the w375 is up top, as with the w407, its all midrange exactly where you want it on the street. I tell you what we pay alot for Walky gear, but it is top quality and they do thousands of hours in R N D and we beneffit from it guys..... best thing ive ever done. quickly too, as i got there an hour early just in time for its tuning, i was not only invited to watch the car get its power run, but Brett said jump in the car with me. Im kicking myself i didnt record it.

Anyway car made 392 with the w375 pack brand new. with the w407 it made 446 HP at the wheels qiut happy. remember this is a baby cam, Brett its the second highest he has seen for the w407 in manual, most of the them are hitting 420 to 435HP
Anyone thinking of getting the w407 kit do it, to the point its a Way better upgrade then the w375 kit
Kingy out