Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Test Drove series 2 SS Redline Manual W407

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Just throw in a few more bucks and get a blower.

Low down grunt is where is at. Cams just lift the power higher in the rev range. Great for race car. Not great on the street.

Forced induction. Have your cake and eat it to.
Yeah agree generally. But, I think more mid-range than bottom end per se. Obviously the right cam, can significalty increase mid range torque and be part of a good all round package.
Sure FI provides massive power amd torque increases. But it can have short comings too e.g heat, fuel consumption, reduced driveline longevity. If you're chasing big power then happy days. But for a daily driver, a full exhaust, cai and tune including the trans, is probably the best upgarde, with significant benefits and few, if any compromises, when done correctly.

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
Hi guys, anyone have one of these W407 cams in an auto? Wondering what it's manners are like in slow stop start traffic, does it push on the auto or surge? Thanks.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Ok Boys long post time. but heres my opinion......
I picked the car up at 11am, and have only just parked it up, to say that im happy is an understatement, i was worried that id made a mistake the last thing i wanted was a pig to drive, i had a SLR Torana as a kid with a big cam, good when your 19 but you soon tire of that. Im in my forties now, plus the with the w375 the road manners were good, but i wanted more power. Heres the thing coming from an xr6 turbo that was putting out 350kw i wanted more power, and the last thing i wanted was to get smoked by a bog stock xr6 turbo with my w375 kit on.

So i wanted more power but as im trying to pay my house of as quick as i could i didnt wanna put boost into it and spend 18k on it. Decided Cam time did my homework on the w407 and said just do it. What i love about Walkinshaw stuff is they have done the R N D and theres no way theyd put a stupid cam in it, especially if it needs warranty, so i trusted them

Ok hows it drive.... a hell of alot better then i thought, firstly its got a really nice idle, you really know its cammed, but driving it you wouldnt if that makes sense. Mine drives better then the test car i drove, Brett from FTP said how do i like the power, as in where do i want it and i said a bit more down low. So it was tuned, cam comes on at 2.800rpm right through to sign of time. There was no where any surge, coming back from the gym i noticed. In a 90 zone i could cruise in 6th gear, with this w407 i can too, but its close to the edge, also its got a **** load more bottom end power, you dont realise how gutless down low the w375 is, until you plant it in the w407 down low. All the power in the w375 is up top, as with the w407, its all midrange exactly where you want it on the street. I tell you what we pay alot for Walky gear, but it is top quality and they do thousands of hours in R N D and we beneffit from it guys..... best thing ive ever done. quickly too, as i got there an hour early just in time for its tuning, i was not only invited to watch the car get its power run, but Brett said jump in the car with me. Im kicking myself i didnt record it.

Anyway car made 392 with the w375 pack brand new. with the w407 it made 446 HP at the wheels qiut happy. remember this is a baby cam, Brett its the second highest he has seen for the w407 in manual, most of the them are hitting 420 to 435HP
Anyone thinking of getting the w407 kit do it, to the point its a Way better upgrade then the w375 kit
Kingy out

so when you say "close to the edge" at how many rpm does it start to struggle and requires a downshift?

RedlineCaleb

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SSV Redline
Just bought a brand new VF2 Redline and I was wondering if anyone on here is in Canberra and has the w407? I've seen one w407 so far in Canberra but thats it and I wouldn't mind testing one or hearing it in person to help me decide if I should get the w407 on my new Redline. Thanks guys

bbunnys

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VFII SS
Does anyone have a dyno sheet they can post from a Walkinshaw W407 tune.
Had a W375 kit on my car. Just had a cam done now also 224/232 112lsa. Gains were not a lot from a custom W375 tune. But im happy with it.
But be interested what sort of curve official W407 kit does.

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
The WP 407 camshaft is 222/228 @ 116 anyway I found online a W407 idle video
and dyno graph. Dyno gragh 705nm 412rwhp

Attachments

• 2019-02-21 16.36.15.jpg
    2019-02-21 16.36.15.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 286
Last edited: