Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Test Drove series 2 SS Redline Manual W407

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, VF2 Director, ZB RS-V Wagon
Ok Boys long post time. but heres my opinion......
I picked the car up at 11am, and have only just parked it up, to say that im happy is an understatement, i was worried that id made a mistake the last thing i wanted was a pig to drive, i had a SLR Torana as a kid with a big cam, good when your 19 but you soon tire of that. Im in my forties now, plus the with the w375 the road manners were good, but i wanted more power. Heres the thing coming from an xr6 turbo that was putting out 350kw i wanted more power, and the last thing i wanted was to get smoked by a bog stock xr6 turbo with my w375 kit on.

So i wanted more power but as im trying to pay my house of as quick as i could i didnt wanna put boost into it and spend 18k on it. Decided Cam time did my homework on the w407 and said just do it. What i love about Walkinshaw stuff is they have done the R N D and theres no way theyd put a stupid cam in it, especially if it needs warranty, so i trusted them

Ok hows it drive.... a hell of alot better then i thought, firstly its got a really nice idle, you really know its cammed, but driving it you wouldnt if that makes sense. Mine drives better then the test car i drove, Brett from FTP said how do i like the power, as in where do i want it and i said a bit more down low. So it was tuned, cam comes on at 2.800rpm right through to sign of time. There was no where any surge, coming back from the gym i noticed. In a 90 zone i could cruise in 6th gear, with this w407 i can too, but its close to the edge, also its got a **** load more bottom end power, you dont realise how gutless down low the w375 is, until you plant it in the w407 down low. All the power in the w375 is up top, as with the w407, its all midrange exactly where you want it on the street. I tell you what we pay alot for Walky gear, but it is top quality and they do thousands of hours in R N D and we beneffit from it guys..... best thing ive ever done. quickly too, as i got there an hour early just in time for its tuning, i was not only invited to watch the car get its power run, but Brett said jump in the car with me. Im kicking myself i didnt record it.

Anyway car made 392 with the w375 pack brand new. with the w407 it made 446 HP at the wheels qiut happy. remember this is a baby cam, Brett its the second highest he has seen for the w407 in manual, most of the them are hitting 420 to 435HP
Anyone thinking of getting the w407 kit do it, to the point its a Way better upgrade then the w375 kit
Kingy out
Sold!

ls3 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vfs2ss
PSISLE....... You wont be disapointed mate believe me the last thing i wanted was a pig to drive, so did alot of homework here, yeah its a small cam but perfect for the street, you should around 50hp while being something ya mum could go shopping in.

If i can figure out how to post a vid ill get one up asap.

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sweet as mate, I drive a 6l with a cam as a daily so I'm not too fussed about manners, just can't have my wife having more poke than me hahaha
I went to my local tuner, he said exactly what you said, he also bagged out the early walky cams, but said they have got this one spot on, yes could get more power out of a bigger cam, but w407 is spot on for power and driveability

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe upload a vid to YouTube and then post the link

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Thanks for your write up review. I'm sitting on the fence 50/50 as I'm
A stickler for factory original authentic especially for my Motorsport Edition.

I have bought a full HSV GenF2 exhaust off a LS3 to fit to my Motorsport as it will still give it a factory look. So maybe I go that path first and see how I go before going W407?

I have to say it's hard to see and hear a W407 in person in Adelaide. I want to do that and be taken for a drive in one first before I commit. After all it's $10k

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Yeah, good approach. I feel the same way re using factory-esque bolt ons. Other than the CAI.

Personally I'm not a fan of Walky tunes. Sure they make HSV. But quality after market tuners have been doing better stuff the WP for years. If the W375 lacks bottom end to mid range torque, It's got to be in the tune mainly.
My VF1 Redline was tuned by a tuner who does Walky tunes. But mine was a dyno tune, unlike the Walky. For <1/3 of the cost, i got a better result. Warranty issues? MEH, it's still an undestressed engine and I've never had an ounce of trouble with it. Just hype I think.
For my MSE, I'll be going 340 headers and mid section, hi-flow cats snd the Ballie tip exhausts. Throw in a CAI and good tune, and that's all the sweet sounding power I want. I reckon it'll easily perform as good or better than a W375 tune, and cost about $2k.

ls3 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vfs2ss
Thanks for your write up review. I'm sitting on the fence 50/50 as I'm
A stickler for factory original authentic especially for my Motorsport Edition.

I have bought a full HSV GenF2 exhaust off a LS3 to fit to my Motorsport as it will still give it a factory look. So maybe I go that path first and see how I go before going W407?

I have to say it's hard to see and hear a W407 in person in Adelaide. I want to do that and be taken for a drive in one first before I commit. After all it's $10k
Super Coach......your right it is better to do your homework first. i wouldnt commit to w407 until id driven it, as there were a few boxs i wanted to tick first. Theres a few ppl i know getting new MSE and they already have there car booked in for w407 fitting. Sales manager at Rockingham Holden has his coming, will be getting w407 straight of the truck, and then going on the showroom floor where it will stay/

ls3 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vfs2ss
Yeah, good approach. I feel the same way re using factory-esque bolt ons. Other than the CAI.

Personally I'm not a fan of Walky tunes. Sure they make HSV. But quality after market tuners have been doing better stuff the WP for years. If the W375 lacks bottom end to mid range torque, It's got to be in the tune mainly.
My VF1 Redline was tuned by a tuner who does Walky tunes. But mine was a dyno tune, unlike the Walky. For <1/3 of the cost, i got a better result. Warranty issues? MEH, it's still an undestressed engine and I've never had an ounce of trouble with it. Just hype I think.
For my MSE, I'll be going 340 headers and mid section, hi-flow cats snd the Ballie tip exhausts. Throw in a CAI and good tune, and that's all the sweet sounding power I want. I reckon it'll easily perform as good or better than a W375 tune, and cost about $2k.
Cuda.... when i say lacks bottom end with the w375, im not saying its bad, just when you drive a the w407 you will know exactly what i mean. W375 compared to standard , stock theres a big change but comparing the w407 to w375 is like comparing chalk and cheese.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Yeah, I'm sure your right. Nothing like a seat of the pants comparison.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Super Coach......your right it is better to do your homework first. i wouldnt commit to w407 until id driven it, as there were a few boxs i wanted to tick first. Theres a few ppl i know getting new MSE and they already have there car booked in for w407 fitting. Sales manager at Rockingham Holden has his coming, will be getting w407 straight of the truck, and then going on the showroom floor where it will stay/
So it will just sit for display or he plans to on sell it?