Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register
Status
Not open for further replies.

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
One other thing. When trying to swivel the knuckle using the spring I noticed the spring can slip back and forth a cm due to the gap between the shock seat and the coil end. I thought it was weird there was no rubber seat in the old shock. Should i be worried?

Attachments

• 20200515_101521.jpg
    20200515_101521.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 144

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
Additionally, i dont think my sway bar was centred the first time i took it out. Could that make a difference. If so do you know an accurate way to centre the sway bar?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Additionally, i dont think my sway bar was centred the first time i took it out. Could that make a difference. If so do you know an accurate way to centre the sway bar?

Sway bar doesn't effect steering wheel centring

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
One other thing. When trying to swivel the knuckle using the spring I noticed the spring can slip back and forth a cm due to the gap between the shock seat and the coil end. I thought it was weird there was no rubber seat in the old shock. Should i be worried?

Should be a rubber insulator......I can forsee a noise complaint as a result of it missing

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Don't be silly get a pair of rubber dampener's not only it stops rattles but ware to the plate it also could be the reason behind the steering not returning to centre.
Hope the top one there as well.

Last edited:

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
Don't be silly get a pair of rubber dampener's not only it stops rattles but ware to the plate it also could be the reason behind the steering not returning to centre.
Hope the top one there as well.
I agree trev, however i'm finding it difficult to find a replacement part online! The front top insulating rubber is in place but as i said, not even the old shockers had the rubber in it which is why i thought it was normal. Any idea if rear springs are identical? As in left/right?

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
Update

Drove for the second time after repairs. Power steering queitened down and steering recentres again! The only thing i did on the front end was adjust toe abput 1.5 turns each side as it was way in.

Got a wheel alignement and now she drives beautifully..

Gee it's a shame they dont make these anymore..

Edit: they put two thick washers in the front right radius rod to give it the appropriate caster. Over half a degree out!

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
So what did the aligner do with the other supplied washers? They are surposed to be put back on the radius rod, for future use.... You didn't mention what position on the radius rod the aligner put those washers in to get the car driving straight....Position of the washers on the radius rod determine the caster and the caster in this instance is what gets the car driving straight...

Thank you for your concern, nolathane strut/radius rod chassis bush kit comes with 3 diff size washers .... my settings on the front radiator side are @ the small washer 2ml on drivers side giving you +1/4 caster and small 2ml plus medium washer 4ml on passenger side giving you -1/4 castor and the car steers perfectly strait. :)

With your knowledge as an experienced aligner, where do you suggest the remaining 3 washers should be placed in order of size/mls for the different driver/passenger sides ???? :)

And yes most roads cambers are sloped to from the middle to outer left shoulder edges for water runoff/puddling on straight roads, however it’s a different scenario on most sweeping curves/bends where generally are flat and whole road surface camber slopes to one side of turn, hence why cars suffer the over/under steer issue when set up for straight roads unlike race tuned setup. :)

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
I agree trev, however i'm finding it difficult to find a replacement part online! The front top insulating rubber is in place but as i said, not even the old shockers had the rubber in it which is why i thought it was normal. Any idea if rear springs are identical? As in left/right?
all good, bottom spring rubber not needed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.