Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
So you have owned any of those vehicles havent ya? Are you sure there is no issue that I should be worried about? Im gonna pay like $24k for the car.
I bit much $$$ for a ve, more around 18k

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
In term of fuel and insurance, it will be ok for me, normal scheduled services at dealer are also ok with me. Cheap plasic interior is fine. But what strictly not ok with me are major problems such as while driving on the highways, the engine’s suddenly dead, overheated, coolant system failures and those will cost a fortune to fix. Also heavy oil consumption. I bought an e46 3 series with 185000kms on it for $4500, had it for less than a year and been traveled for 30000kms since i bought it. Well guess what?! I have paid more than $4000 on the maintenance and repair for the car that worths $4.5K in less than a year. Oil leaks, coolant leaks, water bump fucked up, radiator has gone, electrical problems and heaps... but nice looking and nice to drive, solid built and luxury interior seriously!
But I would never want another one like that! That’s why I’m here to ask you guys about Commodore SSV Z series.

The L77 is unlikely to have any internal problems as long as your service it regularly and use quality products.

I don't want to sound rude here but you can't expect a perfectly reliable car, it doesn't exist.

Maybe you could put $10 or $20 away each week in preparation for any potential problems.

Or buy a Camry or a Lancer

Edit: Mine was 29k lol but the best one in SA and only one of two for sale. The other was 33k with more K's but was manual

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I must admit the prices are up there(sold our VE SS 3 yrs ago for 19K with 80K on it, mint cond no mods) some more than VF SS which is suprising

Need to remember that SSV Z Series is effectively a Redline with a sunroof (in sedan mode anyway), so leather, rear subs, front brembos, FE3, sat nav, reverse camera etc and MY 12.5 so last of VE.

Last edited:

JQ417

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE2 Commodore SSV Z series
That's why they call 'em Bavarian Money Wasters.
I have no problems with my Commodores, that's why I have 3 of them.

If you want something absolutely reliable, buy a Camry...

Hahaha, you are wrong bro. I have owned a Camry for 3 years and it got heaps of problems, thats why I changed to the 2011 SV6 and been driving for 3 years with very little problems then sold it couple of months ago. Thats why im planning to get the SSV next.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Hi everyone, just wonder if anyone here know any common issues/problems relate to 2012 Holden Commodore SSV Z series 6-speead Auto (with AFM technology). Because Im planning to purchase a second hand one with 90000kms on the odometer from its first owner in Queensland. Any advice/ recommendation would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Do you have any more details on this car ? Any pics ?

Have you seen any service history ?

Qld is a long way to go from the ACT if that doesn't check out.

JQ417

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE2 Commodore SSV Z series
Do you have any more details on this car ? Any pics ?

Have you seen any service history ?

Qld is a long way to go from the ACT if that doesn't check out.
Yes man, i think it got full service history and it got 90000kms so far. It looks ok.
Well, it will cost me a lot more to purchase the car in Queensland. If I go a head to purchase the car then the actual costs would be airline fares, accomodations, car rentals, pre-purchase inspection by a third party company (optional but for peace of mind). Pay money to the seller, drive back to Canberra (1200 kms or 12 hours drive at least) plus fuel refilling. After get back to Canberra, take the car for Road Worthy Inspection and Vehicle Indentity Check (compulsory by ACT law). Then go to shopfront transfer the name, buy a new registration, CTP, stamp duty... after that get a comprehensive insurance drive to a local car wash for detailings. NOW it’s ready for photo shoot and share on Facebook! OMG I’m so sleepy now, I wanna sleep !!!