Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Black oil after 2000kms

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
@daves8 are you fairly handy on the tools? If yes it might be worth pulling off the rocker covers and washing them out with kero. Gives you a chance to see how much sludge is up the top end too.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Extended oil change intervals certainly won't increase engine life for a valid reason to do it!

Mate I serviced a MK5 GTI golf today, it was at 350km it has had 15k services as per the book.
It's still going strong, no rebuild no turbo or anything.
Just Fuchs oil and Hengst filters.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Can't compare other makes to GM V6. Wife's Mitsi has been fine with 15k services and probably will be ok in another 10 years. But Holden V6 is far more prone to problems than many other makes.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Can't compare other makes to GM V6. Wife's Mitsi has been fine with 15k services and probably will be ok in another 10 years. But Holden V6 is far more prone to problems than many other makes.

Yes, go back an read, I mentioned the breather issue and the fact people try and do 15k on semi synthetic.

Also just for those of you that don't know, I used to work at a place that used Valvoline and unknown to some is actually probably Australia's most quality oil, they'll take you for a tour of their plant at Eastern Creek.
Well as a mechanic you have a technical line to your oil supplier, be it Penrite, Castro, Valvoline ect.
I've been using all those plus Fuchs.
Well one day the Valvoline technical guy was telling me the 10w-40 semi is only good for 7500km in any engine, this was for a Jeep V6 petrol.
So I asked about the GM V6, Valvoline actually changed their recommendations to full synthetic only because so many numpties don't understand this.

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais L77, VX Calais LS1, VW T-ROC
But I service like 3 to 4 cars a day 5 days a week for the past 16 years.
Yep, and the experience of people that are in the middle of it is valuable, and is typically going to be the best advice we can get.

It's really hard for a mechanic to 'science' this though. They won't be able to control for all variables to really determine a root cause.
They'll often mainly work on one type of vehicle, or use one type of oil, or follow one type of service routine as required in their job. Or not be able to know the full history of a vehicle. How often would most mechanics even be able to know if customer ended with engine failure years down the track.

Perhaps that's not the case for you, but for the average guy googling... well it looks like a religious war :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes, go back an read, I mentioned the breather issue and the fact people try and do 15k on semi synthetic.

Also just for those of you that don't know, I used to work at a place that used Valvoline and unknown to some is actually probably Australia's most quality oil, they'll take you for a tour of their plant at Eastern Creek.
Well as a mechanic you have a technical line to your oil supplier, be it Penrite, Castro, Valvoline ect.
Well one day the Valvoline technical guy was telling me the 10w-40 semi is only good for 7500km in any engine, this was for a Jeep V6 petrol.
So I asked about the GM V6, Valvoline actually changed their recommendations to full synthetic only because so many numpties don't understand this.

For an expert in your field you should know sorting the PCV is only part of the solution.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Plus LS are also prone to sludge if not serviced more often than the recommended.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yep, and the experience of people that are in the middle of it is valuable, and is typically going to be the best advice we can get.

It's really hard for a mechanic to 'science' this though. They won't be able to control for all variables to really determine a root cause.
They'll often mainly work on one type of vehicle, or use one type of oil, or follow one type of service routine as required in their job. Or not be able to know the full history of a vehicle. How often would most mechanics even be able to know if customer ended with engine failure years down the track.

Yes all correct.
But often shops, I've been at about 6 over my 16 years will have regulars that have been serviced since new.
The ones that have 5 different shops in the service book are the worst, because it's actually bad changing to different brands of oil every service.
It's best to stick with one brand (I use Penrite in my cars)
But I see so much that I have much more aspect on this.

Plus the technical line also backs up my claims.
If you know a mechanic that tells you they know more than anyone else and won't use the technical line dur to pride move to a new mechanic.
I'll happily admit that I learn new things every day and rely on engineers to teach me new things.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
For an expert in your field you should know sorting the PCV is only part of the solution.

Nope I find with the PCV system fixed and good Dex full synthetic oil used they run fine.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Common knowledge even to the untrained, 15K on an oil change even with the PCV mod isn't recommended with alloytecs.....

And I used Valvoline in all my 8 cars....Have for 30 odd years and never had a single problem

Another car site I frequent that deals with older cars, there is a fella on there that won't touch Penrite with a 10 foot barge pole....He used to build and race V12 Jags.....

So in reality, oil choice is a personal choice thing