Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Chevy badges ‘on my new car’ what’s the go?

Tiff

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Holden Commodore
Bogan points hahaha
There coming off i just bought it. Wondering as to why people put them on! But I just as I assumed it was an idiot phase

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
The odd thing is that in the days when Holdens had proper Chev small blocks, we didn't rip off the lions and replace them with bow ties. Just knowing what was under bonnet was good enough. They were Holdens and we were proud of the fact.

um yeah people did put bowties on things like HQ's and stuff.

this is part of the reason why - http://oldholden.com/node/82497

the other is yeah people ripped out the Holden 253/308 and strapped in a 454 or something and just put the badge on. Used to see it heaps on drag cars or in street machine mags.

Now it's all derp factor.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Bogan points hahaha
There coming off i just bought it. Wondering as to why people put them on! But I just as I assumed it was an idiot phase

Correct, because the idiots won;t listen to the fact the the motors are not Chev motors.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
um yeah people did put bowties on things like HQ's and stuff.

this is part of the reason why - http://oldholden.com/node/82497

the other is yeah people ripped out the Holden 253/308 and strapped in a 454 or something and just put the badge on. Used to see it heaps on drag cars or in street machine mags.

Now it's all derp factor.

You're talking about a different group. Yes, HQ's did tend to have the occasional bow tie, though they weren't common. My group preceeded them. HK to HG models tended to be left as they were. The factory fitted engine capacity badges were inspired by US designs but were neat and unobtrusive so they were left alone. HG had larger 350 stickers, but the Holden badges were still restrained.

From HQ on it was different. The factory started placing ever increasing stickers on the sports models and the cars definitely looked more US inspired. Bow ties didn't seem so odd and at least the engines were the real deal.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
let's not forget aftermarket badges and crap like that exploded with the advent of eBay - back then you had to find one and there was a good chance it was the real deal.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
each one gives you plus 50 bogan points. and if you replace all of them it's like a multiplier. go full bogan with the addition of a cap or better yet chev jacket!

Post Of The Day!

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
The VE was sent over and rebadged as a Pontiac

I wonder if some of the Yank VE owners put the Lion back on and then other Yanks think that is aftermarket?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I wonder if some of the Yank VE owners put the Lion back on and then other Yanks think that is aftermarket?

Yes, many Yank owners of VE (Pontiac) & VF (Chev) convert back to Holden, including changing MyLInk / IQ.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, many Yank owners of VE (Pontiac) & VF (Chev) convert back to Holden, including changing MyLInk / IQ.

the pontiac is a little harder due to the modified grille and bonnet but yes this is a thing!