Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Chinese Android Head Unit Review - $595

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
says android 13 in the description, but android 10 at the top. very deceiving

VF300k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
says android 13 in the description, but android 10 at the top. very deceiving
Where did you see android 10? I could only see 13 mentioned in the description and the about section

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
as the OP I 100% guarantee it is android 10. These chips are designed around it. More than 8 months on and still loving the head unit.

VF300k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
as the OP I 100% guarantee it is android 10. These chips are designed around it. More than 8 months on and still loving the head unit.
Yeah and at this price + eBay discount almost can’t go wrong for $200 thinking I’m going to roll the dice, only thing is if it has the loom for the factory camera but I’ve seen it’s not hard to convert the camera to a RCA plug if needed

jproz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
Couple more install notes that may be of help to others:

- I've had good results replacing the microphone with an Olympus ME52W Uni-Directional Microphone, ~$48 from Amazon. At 100km/h with the front windows down, Google voice commands still worked a treat. I just have it pinned to the top of the A pillar facing me directly.

- For the USB, I replaced it completely with this inside the storage compartment. Is a smidge too small, so padded it out wrapping tape around it and now fits snugly. I went one USB port and 3.5mm AUX in which is connected to the RCA in --> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004642716382.html

- 4 ch RCA output is possible, just not with the RCA harness supplied. Only 2ch RCA was available with the supplied harness. Not saying all units are like that, but some are. This thread shows how to get the rear RCA channels out, for some reason it's sitting on the CANBUS port. The pinout specifications were exactly the same on my unit. Note in this thread the polarity or pin mapping is off in the 2nd last picture, don't follow the 2nd last picture - use the pin definition map. https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...s-android-10-radio-head-units-uis7862.769847/

- I went ahead with the 360deg installation, really happy with the results. While not a necessity, comes in handy in knowing exactly where you are.

- I've used FYTHWOneKey.apk to map the source button on the steering wheel to activate Google Voice to request songs etc

- Without a power button, having ACC on for extended periods does zap the battery a bit. I installed a hidden switch so I can just run the radio and amps without having everything else lit up or on standby. This means no steering wheel controls are active since it's not energised but that's ok if you have extended periods for listening or whatever. The circuit diagram used is here, important to use diodes to stop the current running back into the CANBUS decoder in my case --> https://electronics.stackexchange.c...ar-radio-with-two-power-sources/223584#223584

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20231230_151746.jpg
    20231230_151746.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 67

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I looked at that ebay link more closely - I wouldnt get it without confirming it comes with the canbus module. It is not listed in the list of inclusions.

VF300k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
Will double check with seller, already asked about the factory camera and he confirmed and sent a photo of the adapter that it comes with

VF300k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
I looked at that ebay link more closely - I wouldnt get it without confirming it comes with the canbus module. It is not listed in the list of inclusions.
Am I right with that the CANBUS module is really just for those factory settings that comes with the mylink?

Have seen some people suggest that you just make sure your settings are how you want them before removing the mylink and it should be fine?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Am I right with that the CANBUS module is really just for those factory settings that comes with the mylink?

Have seen some people suggest that you just make sure your settings are how you want them before removing the mylink and it should be fine?

The canbus decoder does normally allow you to set the vehicle settings but in modern vehicles the infotainment unit(mylink) is used for all of the audible alerts like indicator sounds, park assist sounds, warning chimes.
The canbus decoder restores these sounds on aftermarket units.
Most of the time they just add a little speaker that goes behind the unit.
The canbus decoder also allows the steering wheel buttons to operate the headunit.
It also controls the power state of the unit.

So it is important to make sure it comes with a canbus decoder for the vehicle you are installing the aftermarket unit into.

VF300k

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
The canbus decoder does normally allow you to set the vehicle settings but in modern vehicles the infotainment unit(mylink) is used for all of the audible alerts like indicator sounds, park assist sounds, warning chimes.
The canbus decoder restores these sounds on aftermarket units.
Most of the time they just add a little speaker that goes behind the unit.
The canbus decoder also allows the steering wheel buttons to operate the headunit.
It also controls the power state of the unit.

So it is important to make sure it comes with a canbus decoder for the vehicle you are installing the aftermarket unit into.
Yeah sounds like that’s something that’s needed then.

Have checked with the seller and he’s confirmed it’s android 13 and comes with CANBUS box, think that’ll do it for me, going to grab one and will report back once installed