Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Chinese Android Head Unit Review - $595

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
T
Do you mind sharing which vendor and model?

I'm looking at heading down this path also and are currently thinking of the EKIY T7 with the fascia, harness and canbus decooder coming from Skyfame.

Cheers
EKIY T7 is 99% the same thing as mine. It is a UIS 7862 v UIS8581A. Wont make a noticeable difference if that's what youre looking for.

Turtleboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Hi Dassaur,

Been interested in one of these for a while, wondering though if it comes with RCA out?

I want to add an amp in and would prefer to use RCA over speaker wire input.

TIA.

D1STRBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV2R
Hi Dassaur,

Been interested in one of these for a while, wondering though if it comes with RCA out?

I want to add an amp in and would prefer to use RCA over speaker wire input.

TIA.
Ive bought one and got it here now, it has RCA and a connection you can add the remote wire aswell

D1STRBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV2R
Just installed mine, was pretty easy. Had no audio initially but there was a thing in the guide that said what to do if it had that issue and that fixed it.
Only issue i'm having is carlink 2.0 connected no worries wireless initially but now it won't connect. It runs fine with a wire though so not the end of the world but a bit wierd

JamesNZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY14 VF SSV Redline
Just installed mine, was pretty easy. Had no audio initially but there was a thing in the guide that said what to do if it had that issue and that fixed it.
Only issue i'm having is carlink 2.0 connected no worries wireless initially but now it won't connect. It runs fine with a wire though so not the end of the world but a bit wierd

I've just made the move to the Android head unit. I installed the Import Road android modules for the OEM mylink 3 or 4 years ago and it was ok apart from I wanted the steering wheel controls.

So just got one of the Aliexpress units a couple of weeks ago mainly for steering wheel controls but also for the bigger and brighter screen. I ordered this one in 4Gb/64Gb: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005301541920.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.1.6dcf30bbVGnpnu&algo_pvid=150110e0-1887-47ec-a2f2-b81affce6981&algo_exp_id=150110e0-1887-47ec-a2f2-b81affce6981-0&pdp_npi=4@dis!NZD!139.89!104.92!!!593.50!!@2101fb0b17005335022473461e6363!12000032550219821!sea!NZ!809878658!&curPageLogUid=d9Ctavci4nzQ

Pricing was good compared to others on Aliexpress and shipping wasn't crazy to New Zealand. I think it was $350NZD to my door, so $320AUD.

Like all computers, dont skimp on the RAM, if you are using this for native head unit then go with 4Gb or 6Gb, not the 1Gb or 2Gb as it will bog down with android software. If you are mainly using for just radio and android auto/apple car play then the processing happens on your phone so you might get away with 2Gb on the unit. But my advice is to go with the 4Gb as a minimum; I think thats what most new phones are running with today, pay the little bit extra and give yourself more years of use.

It says for VF wagon but I installed it in the series 1 sedan without issues.

Install was easy, no instructions but there is only one of every plug type so it's a matter of finding the right hole for the right plug. I've got the first run of SSV-Redline so 2013 (MY14). Reverse camera was a free add-on so I'm getting that installed. I wanted to use the new camera as its 720/1080p so an improvement in quality over the original one. I've got it working sitting on the front seat but it's a bit of a pain to install in the sedan so a sparky is running the cables into the original camera spot tomorrow for me.

I've got a tip and a couple of questions for people who have installed these units.
Tip: system beeps etc now come from a small speaker inside the canbus module, I opened mine (it's a Raise branded one) and I covered the speaker hole with a plastic sticker. This reduces the volume of the beeps and turn-signal clicks a lot so do that if the beeps annoy you.

Questions: I'm keen to learn what people have used for make/model for the canbus settings, I see earlier in this thread that Cruze 14-16 gen2 works.
Anyone else got any pointers on what works for them?
Mine is currently set to Raise - GM - GM other. That seems to give me most things, flash when lock, beep if keys in car etc but it would be nice to know if there is an even better profile for the commodore.

For anyone still on the fence re these types of units. I think they are at the stage now where they are well worth it for the VF.
The facia for the unit makes these things look factory. Fit and finish as as good as what was there with mylink. There are no buttons for nav/home/seek etc but those are all available via your steering wheel or via touch screen so I dont miss them. I never used those buttons anyway, always used the steering wheel up/down and forward/back.

I've added some shots of the unit.
  1. Boot up screen with homage to my tuner in NZ
  2. The native screen that you get from the base android OS
  3. The upgraded review camera

Attachments

• Boot up Large.jpeg
    Boot up Large.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 104
  • Reverse Camera Large.jpeg
    Reverse Camera Large.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 104
  • Head unit Large.jpeg
    Head unit Large.jpeg
    245.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

jproz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
Got mine up and running, pretty much as described already by others so will touch on a couple of my own notes:

- Was able to get it working with the standard reverse camera. This aspect isn't strictly plug and play but not overly difficult either. This post shows the pins/connector used for the standard rear camera https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/upgrade-reversing-camera.272732/post-2983163. Removed the required pins from the connector and fashioned a cable to connect to the new head unit. Importantly no cutting of the cables in case I want to return to stock.

- Adjusted the dynamic grid lines to suit, took a bit of mucking around but now have it dialled in nicely. The steering angle setting I've settled on is 25deg vs the 40deg that came as the default.

- Was concerned about the proximity alerts now coming through a single speaker. I always thought the rear sensors came through the rear speakers which is a nice aural cue. Whilst not exactly the same coming through the single speaker, the tones are different between front and rear sensors so you still get the aural cue of what's happening. The visual cue's are still there of course on the display but I prefer to be looking up and around and listening to the proximity warnings.

- As forewarned with these units, the microphone isn't as good as factory out of the box. The internal microphone is completely useless in this instance and will be disabling it shortly. The call quality has been described as passable so far.

- With the MyLink main body unit removed, there is a nice amount of space for installation of accessories taped down to prevent rattling. In there I've put the speaker, USB port expander, USB DAB tuner, USB TPMS module so far.

- After playing around with the software, am impressed most with Agama Launcher, even includes the Holden logo out of the box

- Only thing I'm not thrilled about software wise is the bluetooth phone display - there is no mute button(!!!!). I prefer to mute from the headunit rather than the phone itself so am om the hunt on how to get this addressed.

Two pics below - the home screen with Agama launcher and my reverse camera settings for dynamic lines.

Cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-22 1415572.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-22 1415572.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 96
  • Screenshot 2023-12-22 141521.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-22 141521.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 98

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Got mine up and running, pretty much as described already by others so will touch on a couple of my own notes:

- Was able to get it working with the standard reverse camera. This aspect isn't strictly plug and play but not overly difficult either. This post shows the pins/connector used for the standard rear camera https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/upgrade-reversing-camera.272732/post-2983163. Removed the required pins from the connector and fashioned a cable to connect to the new head unit. Importantly no cutting of the cables in case I want to return to stock.
Mine worked out of the box without any fiddling - harness plug and play.

jproz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
Mine worked out of the box without any fiddling - harness plug and play.
Thanks - that's good to know, especially for others that may go this way. Looking at your original post I can see two connectors mine didn't have - the reverse camera and I forgot about the factory USB connector. Do you know what kind of connector that is for the USB?

I went with the EKIY T7 which was a bit cheaper for similarly spec'd units but was also their first customer for a VF Commodore so other buyers be cognisant of this with the different suppliers on AliExpress. T7 8G 128GB --> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006216759600.html

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-22 145825.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-22 145825.png
    1 MB · Views: 58