Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Chinese Android Head Unit Review - $595

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Hey mate, Looking to upgrade the mylink system as it is unfortunately terrible, Still going strong? I've seen options from Aus places for 1500+ seems a bit silly. Assuming this should work no dramas with a S2 Redline SSV?
Yes to both questions, though I am not sure about control of bimodals. You should ask the seller and let us know what they say.
I will post here should anything change in terms of reliability and so on.

D1STRBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV2R
Yes to both questions, though I am not sure about control of bimodals. You should ask the seller and let us know what they say.
I will post here should anything change in terms of reliability and so on.
Thanks for that. Don't care about bi modals as I'm replacing the exhaust next week anyway haha

Bluesky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60TH ANNIVERSARY
Is there an option for it to auto launch into carplay/android auto when turning the car on? If so how long does it take to boot? Headunit i bought from SCA that plugs in via usb for my VE takes like 30 secs to boot into wireless carplay.

Tutorial for homescreen layout/launcher? I have some experience with launchers on Android but i haven't used them in like 5 years lol.
Does it autoplay music when turning car on using the android ui? Sorry for the long list of questions lol

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Is there an option for it to auto launch into carplay/android auto when turning the car on? If so how long does it take to boot? Headunit i bought from SCA that plugs in via usb for my VE takes like 30 secs to boot into wireless carplay.

Tutorial for homescreen layout/launcher? I have some experience with launchers on Android but i haven't used them in like 5 years lol.
Does it autoplay music when turning car on using the android ui? Sorry for the long list of questions lol
All the auto launch stuff can be done with the app called tasker.

If I haven't used the car for about 2 or so weeks, the thing does a full boot which takes about 30-40 sec. Otherwise it turns on within 3-4 seconds.

As for the launcher, I use nova launcher to have nothing on the home page. Gestures make it easy to navigate (eg 2 finger swipe down opens menu) but the background is just a picture. Then I use an app (widgets by you, author is VasuDev) to make invisible widgets over the top of the background to launch the relevant app.

I'm on my phone atm, but if you want the background I'll post it.

Last edited:

Bluesky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60TH ANNIVERSARY
All the auto launch stuff can be done with the app called tasker.

If I haven't used the car for about 2 or so weeks, the thing does a full boot which takes about 30-40 sec. Otherwise it turns on within 3-4 seconds.

As for the launcher, I use nova launcher to have nothing on the home page. Gestures make it easy to navigate (eg 2 finger swipe down opens menu) but the background is just a picture. Then I use an app (widgets by you, author is VasuDev) to make invisible widgets over the top of the background to launch the relevant app.

I'm on my phone at, but if you want the background I'll post it.
If you could post the background that would be great thx

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Here is the photoshop file:
https://e.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZxk0sZPIK2O2znSebvigFadCWFUJkopTOy

Holden Background.png

phantom0817

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS
I got a similar one, similar price but from a different vendor.

The good is that upon powerup I’ve got it going straight into wireless CarPlay, Waze on screen without me having to touch anything on my phone or headunit. No cables or fiddling with any settings. Just get in the car and drive and it comes up with Waze (does take 30 seconds or so too). Overall that’s a game changer. Of all the pain of installing this, setting that up was the easiest of all, took 30 seconds.

The bad is mine isn’t compatible with the OEM rear camera (or they just couldn’t be bothered to give you the right pass through wiring loom) instead they give a new camera but I haven’t installed it yet, imagine that will be a huge pain. The other big issue is as others have noted the microphone is garbage so other end of phone calls are a pain.

The ugly is all the various levels of android interfaces and proprietary screens and apps are confusing at best, and they somewhat conflict a bit with CarPlay. I just try to avoid going there, but if you want to go to the radio then can’t avoid it. One last rant is the ‘zlink’ startup screen while it’s a searching for the phone really is an ugly hot mess. Given that this is the first and only screen seen for 30ish seconds before car play it’s quite disappointing. Not my car but it looks like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/CarPlay/comments/10rkn8c

Last edited:

jproz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
I got a similar one, similar price but from a different vendor.
Do you mind sharing which vendor and model?

I'm looking at heading down this path also and are currently thinking of the EKIY T7 with the fascia, harness and canbus decooder coming from Skyfame.

Cheers

Paroxysm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais 5.7
Hi mate,

I am also chasing the canbus info to enter into my unit as it was changed and am now missing features relevant to the correct canbus type. If you could help us out with that info it would be awesome. If not, does anyone know the location of the canbus module so i can pull the car apart and find the info on the sticker please?

phantom0817

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS
Do you mind sharing which vendor and model?

I'm looking at heading down this path also and are currently thinking of the EKIY T7 with the fascia, harness and canbus decooder coming from Skyfame.

Cheers
Mines a different one than that.

Regarding the canbus model paroxysm is asking about, again not OP but mine is set to Chevy Cruze 14-16 (gen 2). Seems to do what I need.