Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cylinder failure (lost compression) no warranty VF SSV Redline

Rockyz1904

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Thank you so much - 2 hours of laboir sounds much better than the second hand engine Midas were trying to tell me I needed ‍♀️

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
If it’s a broken valve spring you don’t want Holden doing doing it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Midas - midas well go somewhere else!

I do hope it is a valve spring. Please get someone other than Holden to look at it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ask around at some different garages to see if they have seen broken valve springs on a LS before. My mech took a bit to diagnose mine but soon as I mentioned it to the garage near work he was like "broken spring?" I was like yep, he said yep they see it a bit.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Not hard to see a broken spring, remove the rocker covers and eyeball each spring.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Thank you so much - 2 hours of laboir sounds much better than the second hand engine Midas were trying to tell me I needed ‍♀️
My first and last experience was with Midas some 30-35yrs ago. It was a late Friday afternoon and there was two of their guys sitting having a chat when I asked about pricing on a couple of new tyres. After a quick look one of them tells me I need 4 tyres at some ridiculous price (which I can’t now recall) and they could fit them immediately for me.

Two of my tyres had no more than 5k on them and were in top condition. When I said thanks I’m just getting some idea of prices (of course there was no internet or mobile phones in those days) he asked me what I did for a living. Told him I was a teacher…’you‘re in luck, we have had 10% off for teachers this week’.

Ummm…no thanks. Needless to say I’ve never been near a Midas since.

Reactions: Lex

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
My first and last experience was with Midas some 30-35yrs ago. It was a late Friday afternoon and there was two of their guys sitting having a chat when I asked about pricing on a couple of new tyres. After a quick look one of them tells me I need 4 tyres at some ridiculous price (which I can’t now recall) and they could fit them immediately for me.

Two of my tyres had no more than 5k on them and were in top condition. When I said thanks I’m just getting some idea of prices (of course there was no internet or mobile phones in those days) he asked me what I did for a living. Told him I was a teacher…’you‘re in luck, we have had 10% off for teachers this week’.

Ummm…no thanks. Needless to say I’ve never been near a Midas since.
bit like pedders, used one store a bit when younger great owner always hepled and good prices, new owner tells me i have to replace a heap of suspension bushes etc(most got done under warranty because they wernt even a yr old). they miss spelled my surmane so didnt come up as a prevois invoice. never went back

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think almost everyone has either a Midas or Pedders story (myself included) but this isn't the thread for it.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It doesn’t tell me which Fuel Injector went the first time on the paperwork but has a code (attached in pic)

The next time they went was number 7 and 8
P2006 suggests injector 6.
P2007 and P2008 would be 7 & 8. Off the top of my head, someone might be able to confirm)

If they removed all the injectors they’d have moved them around so any faults might have moved too.

All it might have been is a bad batch of injectors used on a select number of engines?

Either way. Get the car to a performance shop to do the work so you get a better standard of work done.

@Losh, have you got a link to where you did it in your thread? I’ve tried to find it. Can’t fully recall the date and it’s a huge thread.