Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Down Sizing Wheels

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Went to local wheel/tyre shop and ordered a set of 19" silver wheels ($485@) with Contisportcontact 6.
Front wheels 19"x8.5 with 245/40 tyres ($345@) and rear wheels 19"x9.5 with 275/35 tyres ($465@). Apparently there aren't many aftermarket 19" wheels which can clear the rear Brembo brakes. Total package $3,500 including the usual fitting, balancing, alignment, wheel nuts and chrome valves. Paid a deposit as the wheels have be shipped from America, it will probably take 2 weeks or so. I will be keeping the factory 20" black wheels, the Bridgestone RE050 tyres on them have couple of mm left after 13,000 km, they probably have a few more thousands km left but wouldn't reach 20,000 km. I will see if 19" wheels ride better.

Attachments

• Image (10).jpg
    Image (10).jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 349

ShinyVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S-Pac Ute
Did you get them in black or silver?
Can I ask what you didn't like about the ride before? I find the SSV's drive quite smoothly as they are

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Thanks guys, got the silver ones, the factory 20"s don't give much when I load up the ute, must admit 1" reduction won't make much difference but any little extra "cushion" helps. The 20" black wheels look good at close up but can't see them at a distance as if the ute is missing the wheels, they ride is good on smooth highway but can feel the harshness on rough damaged roads and the 3 sets of speed bumps in my street. One shop suggested I buy the 18"s but I rather have the same size tyres as indicated in the handbook. Silver wheels go really well with the white paintwork and the chrome trims, can't wait to try out the Conti 6 tyres.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Is yours lowered?

Clay1391

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssv redline
Thats weird because on my tyres they say there extra load rated for 700kg. There 20"30r 275. They were on the car when i brought it.
You must be putting alot in the back because the ute cant hold that much anyway.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
You must be putting alot in the back because the ute cant hold that much anyway.
Is yours lowered?

Not lowered, everything mechanical is standard stock. I am only into "Cosmetic Make Ups"..:D..Such as mud flaps, sport armour, ladder racks, pollen filter, weather shields and a K&N air filter.

The heaviest load so far was a trip to the tip with 400 kg of plaster board, the ute handled fine but the rear rims were getting closer to the ground.:eek:

HemiMagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE, CL Charger, VK Charger, Motorsport
Went to local wheel/tyre shop and ordered a set of 19" silver wheels ($485@) with Contisportcontact 6.
Front wheels 19"x8.5 with 245/40 tyres ($345@) and rear wheels 19"x9.5 with 275/35 tyres ($465@). Apparently there aren't many aftermarket 19" wheels which can clear the rear Brembo brakes. Total package $3,500 including the usual fitting, balancing, alignment, wheel nuts and chrome valves. Paid a deposit as the wheels have be shipped from America, it will probably take 2 weeks or so. I will be keeping the factory 20" black wheels, the Bridgestone RE050 tyres on them have couple of mm left after 13,000 km, they probably have a few more thousands km left but wouldn't reach 20,000 km. I will see if 19" wheels ride better.

TSW is a quality wheel for sure.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
TSW is a quality wheel for sure.
Thanks "HemiMagic", I didn't have many choices in the after market 19" silver wheels to fit the rear with Brembo brakes. Plenty in the 20" though but I already have the 20" on the ute. From the online reviews, TSW wheels are good at a reasonable price, there are cheaper alloys but don't really like to take the chance on them. Saw a wholesale price on China made alloy wheels, they are selling them around US$60 each, minimum order is 100 units. Better stick with quality wheels. Apparently, TSW's rotary forged wheels are lighter and stronger than others, around 8 lbs lighter. I shall weight them against the factory wheel when I get them. One VW racing team has those TSW rotary forged wheels for track racing. As with the Contisport 6 tyres, it only has 6 mm of tread depth instead of the usual 8 mm, but the manufacturer says that they will wear just as good as others. The original Bridgestone Potenza RE050 on the ute has done 13,000 km and has 2 mm left, so it is probably good for 17,000 km or so from new. All very interesting stuff.