Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dual valve springs causing excess noise?

76Duff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
Hiya's

I had a L77 engine in my VE with a cam which never had the DOD delete done at install or had dual valve springs put in. It sounded like a sewing machine, so I had the DOD delete done and it was much better. A few months later a valve spring gave way and rooted my motor so I got a new one.

Same engine - L77 with a cam, this time with dual valve springs. They told me they also did the DOD delete, but its back sounding like a sewing machine, and feels the same to drive as it did when I had the stock lifters in previously. Before I go back to them, could anyone tell me if the dual valve springs could be the cause? Because I reckon this is what they might tell me it is (they already told me it would be a little louder on the lift)

I obviously can't check the lifters myself and confirm, so would just be going on their word.

Any thoughts?

Cheers. Dennis

car_driver

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Sounds like an LS V8 to me. They all sound like sewing machines but are you running the standard cam that came with the motor? Cams with high lift make the sewing machine sound much worse.

Also it's possible that the dual valve springs are too strong for the valve train. You need to find out what they are rated for (spring rate?) and check the specs with the original motor or one that didn't come with DOD from the factory.

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
IMHO valve springs themselves aren't the sole cause of excessive valvetrain noise, its a combination of poorly matched valvetrain components and probably the wrong choice in cam/cam manufacturer. It can also be contributed to by the install e.g. not degreeing the cam, not checking pushrod length on at least 2 cylinders, all those things add up to noise and less performance.

I remember reading a post from someone a while back that broke one valve spring and just replaced that single one and kept going. Was that you?

What brand of cam are you running and what lobes? Comp can generally be fairly noisy if its an LSL lobe.

I run an EPS cam which are ground my Cam motion on their reknown endurance lobes with over .600 lift and its as quiet as a mouse at idle.

76Duff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
nah that wasn't me. I smashed a piston and had to replace the motor.

Yeah its a comp cam - not sure of the specifics. But it is the exact same setup as my previous motor but with dual valve springs. Previous engine/setup was fine. Its bordering on undriveable now.