Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Footwell lighting

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Obvious would have been to have a decent user manual for each vehicle version that carried accurate information about the features in that specific vehicle and accurately described how to use them.

A couple line statement about the dome lamp and no indication about footwell or puddle lamps in the user manual Is anything but obvious...

Just to be clear, I pet hate of mine is the dumbing down or removal of user manuals that has been occurring over the years. It’s all to save a $... at our expense. Holden even directed me to YouTube to learn how to use the MyLink system; go to YouTube, get tracked by Google, learn about something that we should have put in the manual is not acceptable in my book.

Oh, should mention the VF does it the same VE, that is the dome does not come on during the day if the dash sensor detects light. That's according to the manual so i'll have to check next time i drive my MSE.

Last edited:

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Obvious would have been to have a decent user manual for each vehicle version that carried accurate information about the features in that specific vehicle and accurately described how to use them.

A couple line statement about the dome lamp and no indication about footwell or puddle lamps in the user manual Is anything but obvious...

Just to be clear, I pet hate of mine is the dumbing down or removal of user manuals that has been occurring over the years. It’s all to save a $... at our expense. Holden even directed me to YouTube to learn how to use the MyLink system; go to YouTube, get tracked by Google, learn about something that we should have put in the manual is not acceptable in my book.

Oh, should mention the VF does it the same, dome does not come on during the day if dash sensor detects light.
I haven't noticed my dome lights not come on during the day. I always seem to see them on whenever I open the door.

As for Puddle lamps and footwell lamps, these are only on the higher spec cars - Calais V and Caprice. Maybe Holden didn't show it in the Motorsport manual as it is based on the SS Redline but with extra goodies.

The reason why everything is on YouTube is that people are lazy. They will watch a totorial but not read a manual.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
As for Puddle lamps and footwell lamps, these are only on the higher spec cars - Calais V and Caprice. Maybe Holden didn't show it in the Motorsport manual as it is based on the SS Redline but with extra goodies.

The Magnum has puddle lamps in the door trims and bottom of the mirrors, but no footwell lighting.
There are cut outs in the lower trims though.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
this is what I used to connect my puddle lamps in the Redline.
Footwell lights.jpg

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I haven't noticed my dome lights not come on during the day. I always seem to see them on whenever I open the door.

The reason why everything is on YouTube is that people are lazy. They will watch a totorial but not read a manual.
My generic VF user manual states:
  • When the interiour lamps are set to door activated, they operate automatically only when it is dark.
I haven't verified that the dome/footlamp/puddle lamps in my MSE follow this 'documented feature', just that they turn on and fade off when it's dark (dash light sensor covered to simulate darkness). I'll check next time i got for a drive (i updated the relevant post to clarify this fact).

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
So Ive now ran wiring for the footwell lights and also for the CalaisV sun visors. (Already had rear map light mod completed) Thanks to all that have given me advice / answered my questions

I tapped (soldered) into the wiring at the main roof light plug & then made my own plug off that to then take the wires to where I needed them to go. I just had enough room to fit all the wiring back into the roof. Probably should have used a smaller plug.

For the sun visors I used the brown/white wire (constant 12v, that will switch off after a few mins to prevent interior lights flattening battery). I haven't got the sun visors as of yet but it only has one plug on it so it has to be a positive wire and I assume it is getting ground through the mounting screw into the roof. For the footwell lights I used grey (door illumination circuit) wire and black (ground). For the record the rear map light mod uses the yellow wire and also the brown/white wire again.

Any one have corrections on these comments, feel free to let me know or ask any questions.

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ive also now got a spare set of front footwell lights for sale. Comes with bezel.

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
@dans_vz , thanks for the tip to open the sunroof and feed rear dome light wiring through. Just finished installing the calais footwell and rear dome light in my Redline. Fidly but well worth it..

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
Does any one know if Calais or Caprice had any sort of rear footwell lighting?

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Does any one know if Calais or Caprice had any sort of rear footwell lighting?

From memory No, just puddle lamps underneath the rear door trims.