Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

M82 transmission fail??

Lachy221

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Hi everyone, long time stalker first time poster. I have a 2007 VE Calais with the Ly7 and m82 (5l40e) transmission.
I have had this annoying harsh "misfire" and figured it was the coils. (Had the same issue once before, diff car) Changed them all and it made zero difference. Thought it was weird. Plugs are new too. So last night im driving home and hear this weird scraping type noise. Like a stick had gotten stuck under the front. I stopped and had a look and there was nothing there. Drove home fine and then this morning after i had left home (maybe 1km away from home) the car just stopped moving and was free reving in gear. I rolled to the side of the road and stopped. In D,R,N,P it would just free rev. No load. I pulled the transaxle relay and started the car, had drive. For about 100m. Then the same thing happened. I managed to get the car home and now Neutral and reverse and drive all make the car go forward! Wtf? And park will not free rev it has load. Transmission stuffed?? Electrical fault?? Ive had this "miss" for a while and what i think it was is the torque converter locking on and off?? Any insight is greatly appreciated as i dont have alot of money to throw at it. Especially after spending so much on the timing chains etc

Lachy221

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Quoted $1500 to replace the transmission with a 2nd hand one with 140xxx km..

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Hi everyone, long time stalker first time poster. I have a 2007 VE Calais with the Ly7 and m82 (5l40e) transmission.
I have had this annoying harsh "misfire" and figured it was the coils. (Had the same issue once before, diff car) Changed them all and it made zero difference. Thought it was weird. Plugs are new too. So last night im driving home and hear this weird scraping type noise. Like a stick had gotten stuck under the front. I stopped and had a look and there was nothing there. Drove home fine and then this morning after i had left home (maybe 1km away from home) the car just stopped moving and was free reving in gear. I rolled to the side of the road and stopped. In D,R,N,P it would just free rev. No load. I pulled the transaxle relay and started the car, had drive. For about 100m. Then the same thing happened. I managed to get the car home and now Neutral and reverse and drive all make the car go forward! Wtf? And park will not free rev it has load. Transmission stuffed?? Electrical fault?? Ive had this "miss" for a while and what i think it was is the torque converter locking on and off?? Any insight is greatly appreciated as i dont have alot of money to throw at it. Especially after spending so much on the timing chains etc

Have U checked the TCM F9 fuse in the engine bay fuses?

Lachy221

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
It was fine. When i put it in reverse there is a scraping noise coming from the box. I think it is dead :/

Ashley130

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Calais
Late to the party but if anyone else goes searching and finds this forum, my 08 Calais has just blown the gearbox and did the same thing as yours. Weird misfire sound but nothing was showing up as an issue then when sitting at a set of lights I went to go on green and free revved. Could turn it off for a bit, shift into gear and work for a short distance then stop again. Turns out it had completely **** itself. The mechanic told me that the gearbox is hard to come by because Holden only used them for 2 years in their commodores before changing them so between them dying and only a number of cars actually having them we sturggled to find one. Though, they've quoted $1,700 just for the secondhand gearbox with 140,000kms on it. Still contemplating whether its worth fixing now that I have read its a common incident with that gearbox.

Cheezil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ sv6
Exact same transmission fail issue in my son's VZ, told $2,500-3000 for a second hand replacement if one can be found even! Not happy

kermit434

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE holden Calais wagon
I have a 2009 VE Calais with the Ly7 and m82 transmission with car on 235k. Pulled up at the lights on freeway exit and car would not drive, had it towed. Asked around and was told its likely that the transmission filter is blocked either from lack of maintenance or damage. next day drove it a few metres back and forward ok . Looking at info there is no dip stick for transmission fluid check and it appears the only way to drain the oil is from a plug at the back and then you can change the filter with a kit from Repco or similar. Filling the oil appears to be an issue as you need to pump it in via the drain hole while the engine is running so its a bit tricky.

As a pensioner it would be a deviating cost to replace the automatic gearbox even 2nd hand. I fitted my Advancer OBD II detailed data checker and run a comprehensive check. It shows all OK however I don't know if it would show a gearbox fault problem. Any advise?
Was thinking of taking it to gearbox service agent and asking for the first look check and possible clean and filter replacement looking for any metal damage in the metal pan. Any thoughts on cost of doing the first level?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ohhh, the five speed hey. I don't like your chances of a cheap fix. Best take it to a trans place and have them take a look at it.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The 5L40 is not a cheap fix. They are not plentiful on the market as second hand.

They were also used in some BMW and are hard to find in Europe and US.

They are difficult to overhaul/recondition. Even where they are done, rarely are all the required parts replaced or reconditioned correctly, or at all. This leads to a repeated failure soon after.

I went through three of them in my VE Calais V. After asking a lot of questions about this I learned a lot.

Each rebuild was $5-6k.

What I should have done is did a manual conversion and never had failing gearboxes again. A clutch would be easier to repair than a 5L40 gearbox.

If you find a second hand gearbox expect around $2-3k installed and expect it to fail again.

They are a **** gearbox.

The VE series 1.5 and series 2 went to the six speed gearbox and was a far better gearbox.