Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mylink software update changes

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Can you expand on how you're using the VPN blokes?

Mik 030

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V LS3 series 2 wagon
Can you expand on how you're using the VPN blokes?
Express VPN is one of my fav programs. On the desktop computer, easy installation, easy to manage, great customer support. You can choose various world wide servers to use as your base.
Covers 3 devices, so your phone can manage Spotify,Pandora through other servers.
I'm based in Germany atm and any Google pop ups come in the german language!
Australian servers limit access to torrent sites, which is my interest.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I assume the Pandora app on MyLink would access the US server and check your local region to decide whether to allow access or not, otherwise VPN would not allow the MyLink app to function.

As is, VPN simply makes it look like your requests are coming from a location of your choice (USA?). It has greater use than Pandora alone (US Netflix, etc, etc). But it can be a frustrating think if providers actively try and identify VPN traffic and block it as some have done.

I’ve never used Pandora though I thought it was a free service. So, using ExpressVPN to access it will cost $99 (presumably in AUD) which could buy a nice size USB thumb drive where you can place bucket loads of music on it... So is Pandora that much better than a thumb drive to make it worth the cost of VPN? Just curious as Pandora was dead when I bought my doore.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
There's some mystery to having a music service or radio station playing the music ... you don't know what's going to come up next. By comparison the ~6000 tracks or so that I own personally & have ripped to my thumb-drive have all been heard before, most of them many times.

I was interested to hear a detailed answer to 426Cuda's question. My assumption is that you install the VPN software on your 'phone, and configure something-or-other so that some or all apps access the internet via this VPN software; making it appear to the Pandora server as though your 'phone is accessing the internet from some point in the USA. But that configuration step - it's a guess, I don't know.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Turbo vpn on android is free and works fine with Pandora it's just annoying having to turn it on every time before using Pandora

Mik 030

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V LS3 series 2 wagon
There's some mystery to having a music service or radio station playing the music ... you don't know what's going to come up next. By comparison the ~6000 tracks or so that I own personally & have ripped to my thumb-drive have all been heard before, most of them many times.

I was interested to hear a detailed answer to 426Cuda's question. My assumption is that you install the VPN software on your 'phone, and configure something-or-other so that some or all apps access the internet via this VPN software; making it appear to the Pandora server as though your 'phone is accessing the internet from some point in the USA. But that configuration step - it's a guess, I don't know.

It is very simple. Choose your country of choice and press go. No other steps required. Just do what you usually do with phone, pad or computer.
In my case, I use usb drives with downloaded music. (My reason for the app). With over 12,000 music albums, I never catch up with my downloads.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
There's some mystery to having a music service or radio station playing the music ... you don't know what's going to come up next. By comparison the ~6000 tracks or so that I own personally & have ripped to my thumb-drive have all been heard before, most of them many times...
Yeah i like the mystery of not knowing what's coming :p

But that's a lot of music you have on a thumb drive. 6000 tracks * 3 minutes per track / 60 minutes per hour / 24 hours per day = 12 & 1/2 solid days of non stop headbanging disco rap (or whatever one listens to). To put that into context, that's driving from Brisbane to Sydney to Melbourne to Adelaide to Perth to Cains to Darwin to Alice Springs and back to Brisbane (almost 19000kms over 230hrs according to this site) with a couple of days to unwind after the trip, all without having to hear any song a second time. By the end of such a trip, i'd have forgotten what day it was let alone what i have been listening to, and likley sufering white line fever. Maybe on the next trip, i'd put MyLink on random just to spice things up o_O

It's all in jest though :cool:

Still, i can see the appeal of Pandora and hearing something new that i haven't heard before ;)

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
you just make your own pandora using shuffle and a large usb stick or hdd.

26,000+ songs over 300+ artists is pandora-ish enough for me

musics.jpg

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I’ve got a bit of a Thing, maybe a pointless one, about legality & my music; own it all, mostly on CD.
Would be quite costly legally obtaining 26k tracks of a quality.style I wanted to listen to. :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’ve got a bit of a Thing, maybe a pointless one, about legality & my music; own it all, mostly on CD.
Would be quite costly legally obtaining 26k tracks of a quality.style I wanted to listen to. :)
As I understand it, format shifting (as the legislation calls it) is allowed for music but oddly not for video. Can’t remember what the legislation was titled, or the year it was past, but it wasn’t long ago.

So, if you own music on CD, it’s permitted to rip the songs from the CDs you own to mp4 or whatever encoding or container format you prefer for your private consumption. As such there is need to worry about legalities.

In any case, even if it was not allowed, ripping your own CDs is not traceable as is the case when one downloads some rip from the Internet. The later downloaded rips may not be so wise...