Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mylink software update changes

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
you just make your own pandora using shuffle and a large usb stick or hdd.

26,000+ songs over 300+ artists is pandora-ish enough for me

musics.jpg
Must have taken some time to rip your collection assuming it’s from your CD collection. If so what s/w did you use and did it handle the album/artist/song meta data and directory/mp3 file names automatically (so it’s just to load CD into ODD)?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Rip no.
Most of my music collection comes from the days of napster, morpheus, edk, limewire etc.
Im a big old pirate lol.
these days i have an 80tb server with nbn and realdebid so i download everything like a data junkie:p

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
As I understand it, format shifting (as the legislation calls it) is allowed for music but oddly not for video. Can’t remember what the legislation was titled, or the year it was past, but it wasn’t long ago.

So, if you own music on CD, it’s permitted to rip the songs from the CDs you own to mp4 or whatever encoding or container format you prefer for your private consumption. As such there is need to worry about legalities.

In any case, even if it was not allowed, ripping your own CDs is not traceable as is the case when one downloads some rip from the Internet. The later downloaded rips may not be so wise...
Whether or not something’s legal isn’t the same as whether or not someone can catch you for something. :)
I dunno why. TV I don’t care (although if something is really good I do buy a copy to keep), I think because I could watch it for free eventually, but movies & music for some reason I feel I should pay for a copy I can play whenever I want.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Whether or not something’s legal isn’t the same as whether or not someone can catch you for something.

It's only illegal if you get caught.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ And that attitude is why we can’t have nice things. :(

:D

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The techie in me says nice.

However, 80TB spread over 17HDD would mean around 4 or 5TB HDD are used and assuming a conservative $200 per HDD, that would still equate to $3400 investment on disks alone (while power consumption would be around $200 per year if left on 24/7). Then there is also the mandate periodic HDD replacement every 3 to 5 years. And as RAID is not a backup, there are other costs in having real backups to avoiding the pain of data loss should you suffer h/w or s/w issues :oops:

So getting back to just the HDD investment, to put it into perspective, the cost of your HDD alone equate to 4 streams of UHD viewing for 11 years on Netflix (or in future, maybe only 1 year of 11 streaming providers just to get access to a wide selection of material).

But streaming won’t give you the satisfaction of being able to watch/listen to what you want when the internet goes dark due to failure... so I partly understand the bower bird urge...

Considering that many BD’s I watch carry on with FBI warnings and penalties in the $60k range per offence, you’d balance our governments books with the penalty you’d get, if fully applied, per offence, if your caught. So I thank you in advance for potentially saving Australia’s bottom line... :p:cool:

Fun aside, it’s brave to advertise the extent of your game and movie piracy on the web, for all to see, considering our data retention laws. Let’s hope a Sony exec or a wannabe Sony lackey isn’t a Holden revhead o_O

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh - I just thought he was showing us how much data he was getting onto the thumb-drive he’s using in his VF?

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
I don't really believe in patents and piracy laws as the human race evolved through shared knowledge, don't agree with putting a price on that. That said that's an extremist view and illegal public broadcast of piracy is a bigger issue over personal use. Studies have shown piracy actually helps the proprietors bottom line as it creates an easy angle to source the data, unlike foxtel, streaming contracts, studios and the like.

Also Pandora was often free with samsungs and I knew a few who loved it. I don't subscribe to streams as I'm still a j head and source older stuff from YouTube every now and then, so free Spotify can fill in the blanks.