Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil light and rattling sound

BrentonK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Yeah gonna give it a go when i get back from work, that sounds easy enough, how do i go about flushing the engine though?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Yeah gonna give it a go when i get back from work, that sounds easy enough, how do i go about flushing the engine though?

You may not need to flush the engine????????? The oil may have been changed 7k ago and is looking good. It may well be a mechanical problem simply caused be wear and tear.

Check filter first. If it's covered in sludge as in thick grease then best to drop the oil out, leave it drain all day as it will be cold and will not run out like hot oil, as you are best NOT to fire up the engine for fear of costly damage.

There are many links to flushing engines like flushing fluids and using diesel oil............Do a search and make your own mind up. Personally I would be giving the motor several oil and filter changes over a very short period after a fast run to really warm it up. Of course this is if the engine is quiet????????

If the filter is clean looking it's up to you if you wish to change it and the oil or look at pulling the engine down.

What year is this VE? What engine is in it? How many Kms all up? Do the books show complete and proper servicing at least every twelve months or more often is best?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Okay okay. 2007 Omega. Just looked back at your first post.
3.6 engine, so if it's an early 2007 it could well be timing chain sorry to say.
Good luck and keep us informed.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Sludge can only happen because of incorrect oil used and not being changed often enough........Check your books and understand them for CORRECT oils to use, and change oil and filter at lease as GMH tell you to do or more often.
Oil and filters are just so much cheaper than new engines.

BrentonK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Ok just took the oil filter out, Doesn't appear to be to bad?

11774700_10153078051492945_825884117_n.jpg

11774558_10153078051502945_899521041_n.jpg

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Does not look to be sludged, just a bit dirty from old 7,000km oil.

Fancy dumping the oil that's in it and filling it with good fresh stuff and add a new filter? FWIW I use 5-30 Castol Magnatec.
You will need about 7 litres to fill the sump. I buy 2 X 5litre cans giving me enough to purchase one only the next oil change. Don't overfill it, just to the top mark.

Bear in mind that may NOT stop the rattles, but might be a less than a $100.00 try. Good luck.

BrentonK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Alright will give that a go on thursday, so i assume if the rattle is still there after that, it's the timing chains?

Micaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
9/17 SSV Redline & 83 VH SS
Sludge will build up on the oil pick-up, oil won't even get to the filter & pump, hence the oil warning on dash

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Sludge will build up on the oil pick-up, oil won't even get to the filter & pump, hence the oil warning on dash

So apart from engine out and sump off, is there a way of clearing that sludge off? The OP said when he drove it around the block it only became noisy when he was on his way back. May be sludge as you say, or maybe other oil line blocked up somewhere, is there any way you can use an air line (not like Qantas) or something to try and clean out oil galleries and clear the oil pick up, then run flushing oil through it?