Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil light and rattling sound

BrentonK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Would it be worth buying extra oil + engine flush, and running that through the engine before putting the good stuff in, confused on what to do.. cause i really need a car, and i really dont wanna get rid of it!, but on the other hand dont wanna be spending 2+ grand to get it fixed (if oil change etc fails) how much would the car be worth based on information i have provided as is? taking into consideration body/interior is in good condition etc

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Would it be worth buying extra oil + engine flush, and running that through the engine before putting the good stuff in, confused on what to do.. cause i really need a car, and i really dont wanna get rid of it!, but on the other hand dont wanna be spending 2+ grand to get it fixed (if oil change etc fails) how much would the car be worth based on information i have provided as is? taking into consideration body/interior is in good condition etc

One to two thousand maximum.

BrentonK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Changed the oil today with castrol magnatec 10-30, let it warm up for a while took it for a drive, seemed to be running smoother than ever no check oil light, got back home and it started to rattle again as soon as i pull in the drive way but the rattle is only noticeable under light acceleration, when i turn the car off and start it back up all of a sudden the sound is gone, its only after i take it for a drive. Timing chains?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Sorry, but I really don't know from here.
Your best shot now is without doubt it to take it to your local mechanic. Mechanical rattles never get better, only worse and cost much more hard earned dollars to fix if you keep driving it.

BrentonK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
No worries thanks for your help!, got it booked into a mechanic for tomoz, so hopefully will get it the issue sorted out

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
No worries thanks for your help!, got it booked into a mechanic for tomoz, so hopefully will get it the issue sorted out

Good luck with it, and you never know, it may be not as bad as you think.
Please let us know the outcome, and you are much better off having it fixed and keeping it and look after it rather than selling it off for almost zero.

BrentonK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
turns out engine was starting to sludge up, my grandfather suggested to run some diesel and oil mixture through it, it's running alot better now

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Did you run it with the mixture for long? I'd be very careful doing stuff like that. Effectively thinning the oil won't do much good for bearing surfaces and the oil will shear much earlier.

Running diesel oil (oil that's made for diesels, not the mix you described) for a while should help remove sludge effectively because it is very high in detergents and cleans extremely well. Otherwise, I'd use an otc engine flush. I've used the liqui moly brand before with good results.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
This is my 2004 vz alloytec that has been serviced as per log book and done 180000 kms..... be prepared ....arsehole of a job
Ran oil flush before I pulled it apart and flushed with 1 litre of diesel in oil and it didnt hurt anything and did clear pickup screen a bit but I pulled it apart anyway....there must be some hand grenade alloytecs out there just waiting to go off.

And some after pictrures

Last edited:

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
One would assume previous to your purchase of it, it had not been serviced as per the books using the correct oil.

What history do the books with the car tell you?