Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil light and rattling sound

BrentonK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Haha I know it sounded pretty bad, seems to be running great now though, log book has been stamped every 10\15thou but it's weird cause its stamped but says no service.on it so.I'm guessing the guy who owned it before me. Serviced it himself but wouldn't surprised me.if.it's missed a couple

BrentonK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
And I didn't run that diesel mixture.for long and didn't put it under any load my grandfather has been a mechanic pretty much he's whole life so I put my trust in him

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Maybe it was just a tensioner problem caused by the oil sludge. It doesn't mean your chain is not worn, it might be a bit elongated but the tensioners are now doing their job. If you have no engine light, you should be fine tho.
Read this article to learn more about timing chains and, oh oh, surprise, learn that GM 3.6 engines with long service intervals are prone to timing chain wear :clap:

AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - Timing Chain Problems II

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
This is my 2004 vz alloytec that has been serviced as per log book and done 180000 kms..... be prepared ....arsehole of a job
Ran oil flush before I pulled it apart and flushed with 1 litre of diesel in oil and it didnt hurt anything and did clear pickup screen a bit but I pulled it apart anyway....there must be some hand grenade alloytecs out there just waiting to go off.

And some after pictrures

My ass that's been serviced as per log books

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I bought the car at about 60000kms and serviced it as per log books ....I know because I did them personally.......this is what I got after 180000 ...used fuchs oil and then later penrite..wtf?
Not sure what to use after I get it going again? But its not going to 15000 between services....my 400000 km engine in my vr looks nothing like this ...the degreaser I used to get rid of all the sludge worked a treat..now it all looks like new and Im doing the timing chains too

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
I bought the car at about 60000kms and serviced it as per log books ....I know because I did them personally.......this is what I got after 180000 ...used fuchs oil and then later penrite..wtf?
Not sure what to use after I get it going again? But its not going to 15000 between services....my 400000 km engine in my vr looks nothing like this ...the degreaser I used to get rid of all the sludge worked a treat..now it all looks like new and Im doing the timing chains too

I remember people running one oil had sludging problems from it(not enough detergents) think it was penrite or nulon.

I;ve always used magnatec or edge in my cars and no sludging

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I remember people running one oil had sludging problems from it(not enough detergents) think it was penrite or nulon.

I;ve always used magnatec or edge in my cars and no sludging

It's been MAGNATEC for me for a long long time in many cars of mine and family.........The correct grade of course for individual cars..........No sludge in any of them, and all running smoothly.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Thanks for the advice guys, is there anything on here showing you how to change + flush oil etc as i am not mechanically minded.

If mechanicals isn't your thing then get somebody who is to give you a hand. Normal oil/filter change is easy but diagnosing that one is far more involved and the longer you run it, the worse things will get.