Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please Help! Unsolved Misfires in Cyl 2, 4 and 6

jboz1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
Hi all,

Not long ago I posted a thread regarding random misfires in cylnders 2,4 and 6 in a 2006 VE SV6.

Since then the car has been in and out of my mechanics but nothing has been found, and theres reasons for that.

The random misfires come and go. It seems as tho every time I take it to the mechanic it stops misfiring. When my mechanic plugs is scan tool in it still reads 4 codes;

P0300
P0302
P0304
P0306

Allthough it is not misfiring at the time.

Since then he has not had time to look any further, So I have been reseting the computer by disconnecting the battery just to get around. It will run fine for 3-4 days with not a single hiccup after disconnecting the battery and then all of sudden (like clock work) start misfiring with CEL and running really ruff. The only way I can get it to stop is to disconnect the battery again.

It only seems to start misfiring after 3-4 days of normal driving and when I come to a traffic light when I stop and sit on idle. So it seems as though stopping at a traffic light or stop sign when at idle triggers the problem after 3-4 days of driving.

Does anyone have any Idea wat is going on, I tired of carrying a 10mm socket to disconnect the battery just in case it starts playing up.

Hope this makes sense.

Would really love some help, so throw some ideas and experience this way! PLEASE

WHITESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV
Well the best way to start with misfire problems is change the spark plugs...and see if you can check the coil packs......misfires are usually something minor like that rather than massive problems. i'd be looking there first, have you changed the battery?

vicarious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 SPORTWAGON
i assume they checked the 02 sensors?

peterrobo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Calais 190kw
Because your problem (according to the fault codes you've given) appear to be restricted to the passenger side bank of cylinders (ie: 2, 4, & 6) I'd be looking at a dirty or corroded electrical connection on that side of the engine. If you've washed your engine down and haven't blown out all moisture it could also be moisture build-up in the spark plug cavities causing a short and misfire. Certainly check all electrical connections are clean and dry for the fuel injector harness as well as the coils that you have easy access to first. If you succeed in reducing the error codes you're well on the way to resolving the issue.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Failed catalytic convertor is a common cause of misfiring on one bank.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Maybe your alloytech thinks it has AFM.
More likely what peter said, something to do with the passenger side. Is there a seperate power lead to each bank, or earth or fuel rail or faulty 'ECU' ? Next time its running well after you reset it try jiggling all the wires n jazz you can find on that side and see if you can trigger it..

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Try checking the earth aswell, which is down below the coilpacks, on the side of the head.

jboz1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
Thanks for the replies guys.

I will certainly try everything listed here.

Other people have been throwing the words 'Fuel Pump'????

Is this possible? I spose they are my computerized now and the fuel pump could be failing with its electrical side of things

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Fuel pump would affect both banks so no.

peterrobo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Calais 190kw
Hey jboz1992, did you get a resolution to your problem yet? If so, what was the cause of the problem as I'm sure many on here would like some feedback.