Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacement vechile but clunk noise still there in the VF STORM

sloys75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 SPORTSWAGON
Hi,
I bought a SV6 WAGON in December and i had this clunk issue everytime i take off or reversed cut a long story short, took it to 3 dealers where they replaced everything underneath the vechile without success,then a holden enginier came out same result so i ended up getting a replacement vechile after 3 months waiting for holden to replace it, so i picked up the VF SV6 WAGON STORM, but the funning thing is that noise i was hearing in my old sv6 is still there. I had a VF Evoke sedan for 3months while waiting for my new replacement and i didnt hear that noise at all, so dont know if its a wagon issue or not but driving me crazy.Is anyone eles hearing the same noise if you take your foot off the brake then slowly accelrated you wont get that noise but if you put your foot down not like a left foot but normal you will hear it, to me its not normal but now this is my secound VF so i dont know want it is.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Drivetrain "slack" maybe?

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Diff lashback. Perfectly normal if within tolerance.

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
Is something loose around your spare wheel?

Davison

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16
Does it just happen at slow speed, or all speeds? Going slowly in first/second gear it's not uncommon to feel/hear a bit of slack in the driveline, most cars do it. If it's happening all the time and is noticeable to the average person, then something might be off.

sloys75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 SPORTSWAGON
I've just noticed i was on hill when i picked up my kids this arvo and i took my foot of the brake and the car did not roll back at all so im not sure if the eletric handbrake comes on automatically and when u take off that noise is the handbrake releasing, i tried it again when i got home on a steper hill and the same result didnt roll back at all and i hand a full car. If anyone has any idea about the handbrake if this is normal it would be a good feedback i only know that it helps for hill starts but they didnt say anything about when driving normally that it turns on.

Black X

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Redline Ute
Yeah there is a slight noise when it disengages. It is the same noise as when you forget to engage the hand brake after you've already turned the car off and then pull the hand brake switch.

sloys75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 SPORTSWAGON
ok just an update i went to holden and spoke to the foreman about the knocking noise i am still getting, in the new replacement VF,he said to me " funny you say that coz ever since you brought yours and we heard the noise 2 out of 5 VF we test have that noise but customers dont complain" now how do you have a car made in the same factory with the same part and some have that noise and some don't. I then asked him is it only in the wagon he said " he said no also heard it in the sedan also". We need people to complain if you have that noise coz holden seems like they wont do anything to fix this problem.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
ok just an update i went to holden and spoke to the foreman about the knocking noise i am still getting, in the new replacement VF,he said to me " funny you say that coz ever since you brought yours and we heard the noise 2 out of 5 VF we test have that noise but customers dont complain" now how do you have a car made in the same factory with the same part and some have that noise and some don't. I then asked him is it only in the wagon he said " he said no also heard it in the sedan also". We need people to complain if you have that noise coz holden seems like they wont do anything to fix this problem.

The tolerances can vary from car to car, some people get lucky and have very little noise where some will make a noticeable clunk. Luck of the draw really, if it really bothers you get the diff rebuilt to tighter tolerances.

sloys75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 SPORTSWAGON
Do you know how much that would cost to get it rebuild, but like i said in my other VF they put two Diffs in it with the same result. So thats why im not sure if its the Diff