Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacement vechile but clunk noise still there in the VF STORM

13VF17 WAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 WAGON
Hey out of curiosity did you ever get this sorted? I'm also experiencing some sort of slap in the driveline mainly noticeable on take-off when foot of the go pedal then immediately back on. Mines a VF SV6 Sedan 2015 Series I
Hi, I have a new VF MY17 SV6 and have this same noise. It is associated with the Transmission. See attached report from GM. Nothing that can be done apparently, it is to do with a torque spike. I have noticed that it has seemed to have backed off, or I have detuned myself to the noise. Not sure if a different type auto fluid may help ? Disappointing though. Cheers

Attachments

• 6l45e trans clunk.pdf
    77.6 KB · Views: 165

Kaaiju

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SV6
Ok thanks for the clarification for that, my vf just has an harsh thud when gears are changing in drive mode, like normal operation 1,2,3rd have an clunky feel to it

occtec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 MY15
Ok thanks for the clarification for that, my vf just has an harsh thud when gears are changing in drive mode, like normal operation 1,2,3rd have an clunky feel to it

sounds like an issue with your trans, take it back to the dealer and demand it be fixed.

occtec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 MY15
Hi, I have a new VF MY17 SV6 and have this same noise. It is associated with the Transmission. See attached report from GM. Nothing that can be done apparently, it is to do with a torque spike. I have noticed that it has seemed to have backed off, or I have detuned myself to the noise. Not sure if a different type auto fluid may help ? Disappointing though. Cheers

Thanks for the info, wonder why the Holden Dealerships are so dumb founded when you explain the issue, as if they don't know about it or couldn't care less. The .pdf clearly states it being a characteristic of the transmission and that the issue is 'not detrimental to the life of the vehicle and no damage will occur'. Its good to have it on a letterhead and hold them to their word, already printed the bulletin out, but i will still be pursuing a third party opinion and proper inspection, i don't believe this to be normal but yet again to be proven otherwise. It would be interesting though to try a better fluid, im pretty sure they use Castrol oils, im not a fan of castrol and ive seen negative results in their engine oils. Cheers

Last edited:

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Not that it advances the knowlege much....but I have had the same response from 2 dealers about this issue of transmission backlash or "windup". So I suppose they have both read the bulletin. One dealer is in Perth, when the car was newish and one in Sydney recently. They both advised me that the issue is noted against my car and any work required willbe regarded as warranty (if the transmission fails). BTW it only happens in my SV6 wagon.

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
I tend to agree with your dealer regarding the fuel "slap"
I noticed a noise a week after picking up my Calais which mainly occurs when I either pull up quickly or take off abruptly. It did go away but then came back. I finally worked out that if the tank is full, the sound disappeared. As soon as the tank got down a bit the noise came back. If the tank isn't baffled, I would assume fuel sloshing around in a mid mounted tank could be heard in a quiet car?
Does anyone know if anyone with a VE had a similar issue? I assume it would have the same tank set up?
I am happy to be corrected about my theory.

I believe the fuel tank design was revised in VF. Sedan at least.