Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Replacing the Mylink with a 2018+ Radio

Jason Kennerly

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Chevy SS M6
Wow, if you can get it working I’m definitely ready to swap the unit in my Chevy SS.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
The wiring loom required would be a bit of a **** storm. It can be made to be plug and play, but instead of having just a single radio box to do everything, its split into to parts:
1) The HMI which does all the visual displays
2) The Receiver which does all the audio

The connectors are available brand new which means a harness could be made. I wouldnt really want to have to put them together so it could be a DIY job for people to make their own (I just dont have the time!!!)

Next, is mounting. Obviously the units are not designed for the VFs and thus will not have the required mounting points. It may be a trial/error scenario to see what works and what doesnt. The HMI is fairly slim and can fit anywhere, but the receiver is a bit more bulky so will have to work out where it can slot into nicely, which then also means wiring length for a harness needs to be considered.

I wouldn't recommend anyone holding their breath on this though. Anyone thats spoken to me before knows theres always multiple things happening at any one time.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
The wiring loom required would be a bit of a **** storm. It can be made to be plug and play, but instead of having just a single radio box to do everything, its split into to parts:
1) The HMI which does all the visual displays
2) The Receiver which does all the audio

The connectors are available brand new which means a harness could be made. I wouldnt really want to have to put them together so it could be a DIY job for people to make their own (I just dont have the time!!!)

Next, is mounting. Obviously the units are not designed for the VFs and thus will not have the required mounting points. It may be a trial/error scenario to see what works and what doesnt. The HMI is fairly slim and can fit anywhere, but the receiver is a bit more bulky so will have to work out where it can slot into nicely, which then also means wiring length for a harness needs to be considered.

I wouldn't recommend anyone holding their breath on this though. Anyone thats spoken to me before knows theres always multiple things happening at any one time.

Appreciate the update! Feels like the safest way to go at the moment is still to wait for your pure Bluetooth connecting Android Auto and Apple CarPlay working with the existing MyLink system.

KLoNe

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.2L V8 Phantom VF2 Calais-V
I'm down to start up a GoFundMe or some sort of pool if it helps, @TazzI ?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
I'm down to start up a GoFundMe or some sort of pool if it helps, @TazzI ?
Thanks for the idea but unfortunately not much help in this circumstance. Theres no major expenses in regards to all this. The only thing is the time required for R&D which is the part I am almost always very limited on.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
A bit of a thinking out loud comment here...

I had the communication wire from the mylink screen and radio box disconnected from one another, and realized that the buttons do not work with this disconnected.

If thats the case, all commands are sent over the communication line.. which means they can be easily manipulated :D
Will be double checking later today as it was extremely late last night when testing, but this might be easier then first anticipated.

KLoNe

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.2L V8 Phantom VF2 Calais-V

I had the communication wire from the mylink screen and radio box disconnected from one another, and realized that the buttons do not work with this disconnected.

If thats the case, all commands are sent over the communication line.. which means they can be easily manipulated :D
Will be double checking later today as it was extremely late last night when testing, but this might be easier then first anticipated.
Go man, go! :D:D:D

fitos

Reaction score
Members Ride
CHEVY SS
Any update on this. Over here in the states interested. Also any information on possible HMI 3.0 module?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Any update on this. Over here in the states interested. Also any information on possible HMI 3.0 module?
Unfortunately it appears I do need to reverse engineer the faceplate controls for both the Mylink and the HMI2.5s to maintain those buttons working. Originally I thought I had found something where it was sending the data over the comms line but appears not to be the case.
This again goes back to alot of time and work which is something I would need help with.

As for the HMI3.0, have been playing with those quite a bit, have done the main reverse engineering already to work out how to control the units and reprogram them. Currently working on trying to install custom apps into it :)