Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So I got an FX ??

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Our VK 10 bolt Salisbury has a diff housing stamp for year of manufacture and it was the year before the VK model came out, the VK was last car to use the 10 bolt/8 bolt Salisbury before changing to BW
So going from that maybe .... Your old earlier Banjo diff housing stamp in picture is 1557 (casting code) should be diff was manufactured 1st of May 1957
You read the cast date on the differential upside down. It is L221 = November 22nd 1951.
It is possible this may be the original differential for the OP's ute. Under all the crud on the axle housing there should be a manufacture date stamp.

Last edited:

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Re the diff, Certainly a "banjo". From one of the pictures it's a bit hard to tell, but it looks like a newer model stud pattern which would make sense given the amount of other "period correct" mods done to the car.
Check the diff ratio. All early stuff had the same 3.89:1 ratio. "Later" stuff also had 3.55:1.
You can almost see the stud pattern if you zoom the picture.
(And the diff does look wider than the standard wheelbase here too)
Untitled.jpg

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
Since this has been dug, any updates @Magnum61 ?
Mechanical work has been sorted, Motor rebuilt, aftermarket column & column shift fitted, front & rear windscreens replaced, rust work done. She's been at the auto electricians for 3 months now :mad: nothing I can do but wait.
FX1.jpg

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Looking good though. Keep it up!

Reactions: Lex

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
LOL, Last pic was a joke, thats not mine. here it is. Far from a full concourse rebuild. Leaving it as is and just getting it going (eventually!)

View attachment 244422

Looks pretty bloody good to me....

Concourse cars are for trailers....Hope yours isn't going to be a trailer queen and actually sees a few road miles

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
Looks pretty bloody good to me....

Concourse cars are for trailers....Hope yours isn't going to be a trailer queen and actually sees a few road miles
Daily driver for me hopefully.
yeah it has old bog in it and the paint is very rough but it doesn't worry me none.