Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sudden Loss of Power Steering WHEN DRIVING

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Does this fall in line with other member's experiences that "service steering column lock" warning develops later to steering rack failure?

This message comes on if you put a certain amount of torque on the steering wheel(when locked), getting in and out of the car.
Don't think it has anything to do with the 'rack' message.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
This message comes on if you put a certain amount of torque on the steering wheel(when locked), getting in and out of the car.
Don't think it has anything to do with the 'rack' message.
Thanks, however the message came on after I had simply reversed the car and stopped the engine without touching the wheel. Looks like I am off to Holden.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Since (all?) the VF's have push button start, they have an electric steering shaft lock mechanism that replaces the old key operated steering shaft lock . If the motor can't pull the lock pin out to free the steering shaft and allow it to turn due to side pressure on the pin, the system lists a fault in the DIC.

As you were simply reversing the car straight back, maybe you didn't notice the steering wheel was initially locked and couldn't be turned. But as you were reversing and likely lightly twiddling the wheel, the steering unlocked but you still got the DIC message o_O

In any case, such an issue has little to do with the power steering asistance failure due to connector pin fretting corrosion where the only viable fix is a new rack containing better designed connectors with gold plated pins.

You shouldn't need a visit to Holden unless it continues to be an ongoing problem. Just be aware of it and try not to leave the steering bound up while you press the start button and all should be OK.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Skylarking, puts my mind at rest and potentially saved me money.
This makes complete sense and was the logical helpful answer I was looking for, rather than "search the forum, dude". I haven't seen the message again. From the comments you have made, looks like you are well versed in the rack problems.
BTW Holden Care still dont care enough to call back.

Mazey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais Wagon
Hey everyone. This is my first time posting as I too have had EPS issues with my VF and I thought I should share my story.

I have a 2013 VF Calais Wagon which I purchased in December 2016, I am the third owner. About two weeks back the EPS switched off while driving and I had to pull over and restart the car. It was due for the 150,000 kms service so I booked it in. My mechanic told me about the VF EPS issues and to contact Holden. I did a heap of research about it (which lead me to this forum) before calling Holden Customer Care.

After calling them, they told me it was out of warranty and the "customer satisfaction program" for that issued had finished years back, but they would book it in and check it out while fixing some other recall items. They had it booked in two days later at Phoenix Holden in WA. They called me that afternoon after they looked over it and told me the rack needs replacing (which I was hoping for) and they would put a claim in to Holden. The second day they told me Holden were going to replace the rack at no cost to me and they ordered the parts. The third day I had my car back with the rack replaced and some other minor recall items fixed.

I had a whole heap of info ready for an argument with Holden as I didn't expect them to replace the rack at their cost but there wasn't any arguing at all. They simply fixed it. Although, not once did they admit to it being their fault. It was called a "customer satisfaction program" instead of a recall and they made it sound as if they were doing it out of good will rather than because they had to.

I haven't had any issues since but it has only been a few days since I picked it up. I'll have to test the auto parked as someone else mentioned and I'll post any further issue I have with the EPS.

Thanks for everyone posting all the info on the forum. It helped me a lot. Hopefully anyone else with this issue is able to get it fixed by Holden as easy as I did.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey everyone. This is my first time posting as I too have had EPS issues with my VF and I thought I should share my story.

I have a 2013 VF Calais Wagon which I purchased in December 2016, I am the third owner. About two weeks back the EPS switched off while driving and I had to pull over and restart the car. It was due for the 150,000 kms service so I booked it in. My mechanic told me about the VF EPS issues and to contact Holden. I did a heap of research about it (which lead me to this forum) before calling Holden Customer Care.

After calling them, they told me it was out of warranty and the "customer satisfaction program" for that issued had finished years back, but they would book it in and check it out while fixing some other recall items. They had it booked in two days later at Phoenix Holden in WA. They called me that afternoon after they looked over it and told me the rack needs replacing (which I was hoping for) and they would put a claim in to Holden. The second day they told me Holden were going to replace the rack at no cost to me and they ordered the parts. The third day I had my car back with the rack replaced and some other minor recall items fixed.

I had a whole heap of info ready for an argument with Holden as I didn't expect them to replace the rack at their cost but there wasn't any arguing at all. They simply fixed it. Although, not once did they admit to it being their fault. It was called a "customer satisfaction program" instead of a recall and they made it sound as if they were doing it out of good will rather than because they had to.

I haven't had any issues since but it has only been a few days since I picked it up. I'll have to test the auto parked as someone else mentioned and I'll post any further issue I have with the EPS.

Thanks for everyone posting all the info on the forum. It helped me a lot. Hopefully anyone else with this issue is able to get it fixed by Holden as easy as I did.
Thanks Mazey - this is great information. Glad that you shared your detailed experiences with the forum. Looks like there is a stock of racks held around the country for this problem and Holden are expecting to change racks out on an ongoing basis. I have had similar experiences when I lived in Perth and nothing similarly complex was available this fast. The parts usually had to come from "Over East" and took a couple or few days.

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
So does anybody know what MY's this issue impacts? Is it all the way through to the MY17 VF2's or did Holden start to install the revised rack from the factory at some point?

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
My understanding is that they had identified the problem late 2014, issued the band aid 'magic grease' service bulletin in February 2015 and started using better connectors on cars built after that......?
So anything mid 2015 onwards should be fine......

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I've stickied this thread as this problem is still occuring and we need the info out there.

Really don't want to see someone dead because of this fault.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I posted this in another thread but probably even more appropriate here.

The ACCC has just released (at 3/9/18) these:

A fact sheet which provides information about what consumers can expect and the remedies available if there is a problem with their new car - https://www.accc.gov.au/system/files/Just-bought-a-new-car.pdf which particularly states -

"Major failures - This type of failure happens when: (amongst other things) the failure creates an unsafe situation (e.g. your car has a fault that affects your ability to brake or steer the car easily).

Type of remedy

You can ‘reject the car’ (which typically requires you to return it) and choose between a repair, replacement or refund. You should clearly advise the supplier that sold you the car (e.g. the car dealer) if you intend to reject it, and explain why – e.g. the car is not drivable, or the car was not repaired within a reasonable time, etc.
You may also be able to recover ‘reasonably foreseeable’ damages for any loss or damage you suffered from the supplier that sold you the car (e.g. the car dealer), or in some cases from the manufacturer."

And a motor vehicle sales and repairers guide to help authorised dealers, vehicle manufacturers, independent repairers, and other businesses within the industry by providing an in-depth explanation of industry rights and obligations under the ACL - https://www.accc.gov.au/system/files/Motor-vehicle-sales-and-repairs-guide.pdf

This guide particularly states that - "Where a consumer asks a dealer to deal with a problem where a vehicle:
• is not of acceptable quality, or
• does not match a description provided by or on behalf of the manufacturer,
or
• is not fit for a purpose made known to the manufacturer either directly or through you as the dealer

and in dealing with that problem in accordance with the dealer’s legal obligations the dealer incurs costs, the manufacturer must reimburse the dealer for the costs that the dealer properly incurs.
"

As such, I would expect that any diagnostic cost that results in a required repair under consumer guarantees should be met by the manufacturer rather than the consumer.

I recommend anyone with issues with their vehicle read these documents and politely raise their content with their dealer when / if the need arises.