Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
If anyone has experienced this before need some advice, car randomly overheated quite fast and then heater stopped working. 04 VY V6 auto

After letting it cool I probably only filled about max 1L of coolant in the radiator (expansion was dry). Didn’t see any leaks or obvious signs

On the way home temp gauge dropped once below half when accelerating close to 100 then sat normal at 1/2. later on topped up more maybe few hundred mL and bled through thermostat, seemed fine afterward.

Around last year Sept I replaced LIM gaskets (genuine) and water pump (gates), 2 years ago replaced genuine thermostat and a used factory rad and new cap + hoses.

There’s a bit of white smoke from exhaust at times (at operating temp). Car never overheated after LIM gasket repair.

Not sure if thermostat has given out or LIM gaskets failing or head gasket failing? Is there a pressure tester adapter to suit V6 radiators if so where can I buy? Maybe cracked heads? Car has about 408xxx kms

Might test to see if exhaust gas in coolant as well but if anyone experienced similar advice is much appreciated cheers

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
If anyone has experienced this before need some advice, car randomly overheated quite fast and then heater stopped working. 04 VY V6 auto

After letting it cool I probably only filled about max 1L of coolant in the radiator (expansion was dry). Didn’t see any leaks or obvious signs

On the way home temp gauge dropped once below half when accelerating close to 100 then sat normal at 1/2. later on topped up more maybe few hundred mL and bled through thermostat, seemed fine afterward.

Around last year Sept I replaced LIM gaskets (genuine) and water pump (gates), 2 years ago replaced genuine thermostat and a used factory rad and new cap + hoses.

There’s a bit of white smoke from exhaust at times (at operating temp). Car never overheated after LIM gasket repair.

Not sure if thermostat has given out or LIM gaskets failing or head gasket failing? Is there a pressure tester adapter to suit V6 radiators if so where can I buy? Maybe cracked heads? Car has about 408xxx kms

Might test to see if exhaust gas in coolant as well but if anyone experienced similar advice is much appreciated cheers
Sounds like lim to me, even though they have been done.
Check the lim bolts, see if they are still tight.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

Sounds like maybe the thermostat on the way out. I had the same kind of thing happen to my SSV not long after I bought it.

It quickly overheated when I stopped at a set of lights but came back down after I started moving. Checked coolant level and was fine so didn’t think more of it until the following day driving home from work the temp went up quickly and stayed there.

I ran the heater full belt to keep the temp under control while I drove home and after checking it all out I pulled the thermostat and the wax pellet container on the thermostat was broken which made the thermostat permanently close.

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Sounds like lim to me, even though they have been done.
Check the lim bolts, see if they are still tight.
I will check tightness as there’s bit of black crud sitting under the plenum so possibly water attracting dirt

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Sounds like maybe the thermostat on the way out. I had the same kind of thing happen to my SSV not long after I bought it.

It quickly overheated when I stopped at a set of lights but came back down after I started moving. Checked coolant level and was fine so didn’t think more of it until the following day driving home from work the temp went up quickly and stayed there.

I ran the heater full belt to keep the temp under control while I drove home and after checking it all out I pulled the thermostat and the wax pellet container on the thermostat was broken which made the thermostat permanently close.
Was thinking thermostat as well because heater went cold but I would be surprised since it’s a genuine one and only 2 years old so about 30,000 kms

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Was thinking thermostat as well because heater went cold but I would be surprised since it’s a genuine one and only 2 years old so about 30,000 kms

Even the best quality management system will let through some below par product. Just thank your lucky stars you’ve got an Ecotec and can easy pull the thermostat and check it! If you had an Alloytec you’d just be replacing it again straight up due to the effort involved in accessing it!