Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

under 100,000 and new engine needed

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Mate you really need to get a better handle on exactly what the insurer's assessor (warranty provider) has determined will cover the dealer's arse, in practical terms. The dealer's head mechanic is not the third party insurance claims authority, but he can tell you what work and parts has been approved. Consider that the dealer stuffed up last service also, best to have that mindset than sharing the notion from the dealer that these cars have been known to blow up under 100k km every now and then.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Is it auto or manual?? AFM? And, its not an LS2.
If AFM, they do have problems at times with lifter failure.

ssv styles

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SSV
Mate you really need to get a better handle on
exactly what the insurer's assessor (warranty provider) has determined
will cover the dealer's arse, in practical terms. The dealer's head
mechanic is not the third party insurance claims authority, but he can tell you what work and parts has been approved. Consider that the dealer stuffed up last service also, best to have that mindset than sharing the notion from the dealer that these cars have been known to blow up under 100k km every now and then.

Thanks pirate yea i got the head of the service department from the dealership to ring the bloke im dealing with from holden and explain what my warrenty t&cs are cos i was sick of being the middle man relaying messages between them. This is the reason id much rather take care of my own oil changes. But like u say it could just be a fault with those particular engines as ive herd that from a few people.

brasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
even if it's manual if it's a L77 the AFM rubbish is still there unfortunately.

brasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
lol ok

brb saving 1L/100km, brb buying a veyron, brb lifters failed and scored cam

ssv styles

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SSV
I was going through some old posts and it seems the MY9.5 commodores which mine is, were fitted with an L98? Does this engine have AFM?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
From personal experience, I have zero trust in GM lifters. This failed lifter wiped the lobe off the cam and things went very down hill from there (LS3 in this case) but I've heard instances of it happening on all the LS series motors.

VCM21a%20Custom%20Cam%20Grind.jpg

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
I was going through some old posts and it seems the MY9.5 commodores which mine is, were fitted with an L98? Does this engine have AFM?

All Series 1 Manual VE's have the L98 with no AFM. The 06 to 08 VE auto's also had the L98 with no AFM.