Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

under 100,000 and new engine needed

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
The old groove in cam lobe lifter sh!t it self story.
The amount of ve l98 engines this has happened to it should have been a recall.

Them after market warranties usally only cover a percentage of the cost. Make sure everything is covered including parts and labour.

ssv styles

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SSV
Maybe i should ask for a 5.7 instead ha. Yea ill get ahold of them tommorow and see what the go is. Thanks mate

Bhp Steel

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
My 09 ssv has just ticked over 98,000kms. Started it at work last week and straight away started making a hell of a racket. Almost a skuffing, grabbing sound. Oil pressure and level perfect. Got it towed to holden and turns out it was camshaft and lifter failure! And it must have done some damage as its getting another motor installed (under warrenty thank f**k.) How it was running fine when i switched it off at the start of the day, then come lunch after a second of idleing it turns to custard, i just dont know. Oil and filter changed 400 kms ago. Is this a problem the ls2 is known for or some other reason.. has me stumped.

Are you sure you did not flog it to death...reading some of the problems with engines on this forum...and tune up's etc....it would not be to critical to say that some of the engines have been belted into oblivion.....just a thought!!!!!

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Lifter failure is fairly common in the 6L LS motors. Usually ends up munching the cam lobes when the lifter turn on itself.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
even if it's manual if it's a L77 the AFM rubbish is still there unfortunately.
Its not just the collapsable AFM lifters that fail, even the non collapsable one that holden use are ****. Ive been told to use aftermarket tie bar lifters to replace the standard ones as they don't have the same issue.

brasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
My 65 year old next door neighbours VE SS dropped a lifter, I'm certain the car has never been over 2500rpm in it's life, serviced by Holden etc etc, Was around 30,000km's if I remember correct.

I belt the tits off my ute and knock on wood solid as a drum still, no dreaded LS "ticking" yet, but it's an excuse for DOD delete and cam :)

ssv styles

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SSV
Are you sure you did not flog it to death...reading some of the problems with engines on this
forum...and tune up's etc....it would not be to critical to say that some of the engines have been belted into oblivion.....just a thought!!!!!

Oh ill give it a squirt every now and again for sure, as we all would do from time to time with these brilliant machines..we'd be all driving a bloody prius if we only wanted to get from A to B not interested in having a blast and loving the car we are driving on the way. But not to the extent of constant throttle bashing! Ive only driven it 6000ks since buying it too so u dont realy know how its been treated in previous years..not saying im perfect though!

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Couple of points

1) If genuine Holden warranty (not some dodgy aftermarket ****) it will 100% be new. Never fitted second hand parts under Holden warranty unless required (transmissions over xxx kms or changeover radios being the exemption)

2) Usually lifter munching is a result of oil pressure issues - not low enough to be stuffed but low enough that the lifters and cam start to munch. Oil pump pressure relief valve failure is not uncommon and most cam/lifter munch issues show low oil pressure when cold (say 50-75kpa when spec is about 95kpa). Most of the time when pressure is checked it's fine, but when the valve sticks it's low. Usually it's the top end that suffers.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
lol ok

brb saving 1L/100km, brb buying a veyron, brb lifters failed and scored cam

This issue has nothing to do with AFM lifters, we are talking LS lifters!? Don't know why you keep on about AFM, really?

Is it auto or manual?? AFM? And, its not an LS2.
If AFM, they do have problems at times with lifter failure.

Honestly, if you guys know **** about the issue and keep whining about AFM then stop confusing the guy and let this guy talk to people who do.

My 65 year old next door neighbours VE SS dropped a lifter, I'm certain the car has never been over 2500rpm in it's life, serviced by Holden etc etc, Was around 30,000km's if I remember correct.

I belt the tits off my ute and knock on wood solid as a drum still, no dreaded LS "ticking" yet, but it's an excuse for DOD delete and cam :)

Torque friction at the lobe is greatest <2000 RPM. 25% greater stress when they are babied like this, never heard of a Delphi lifter (AFM) go and Tie Bar are also problematic on the GenIV.

ssv styles

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SSV
Couple of points

1) If genuine Holden warranty (not
some dodgy aftermarket ****) it will 100% be new. Never fitted second hand parts under Holden warranty unless required (transmissions over xxx kms or changeover radios being the exemption)

2) Usually lifter munching is a result of oil pressure issues - not low enough to be stuffed but low enough that the lifters and cam start to munch. Oil pump pressure relief valve failure is not uncommon and most cam/lifter munch issues show low oil pressure when cold (say 50-75kpa when spec is about 95kpa). Most of the time when pressure is checked it's fine, but when the valve sticks it's low. Usually it's the top end that suffers.

Well its a warranty i purchased through the CJD dealer ship called the "Auto assure package" for around 3gs so not genuine holden. The digitil oil pressure gauge always reads up around 1/2 and 3/4 up the bar which i belive is normal. Go's up and down with the revs fine. Ill have to agree with u on the early morning/cold starts as it sometimes had a very faint ticking for a few seconds but has done it since ive owned it. It was just suprising how it went from running beautifully when i turned it off, then the second i turn it back on 5 hours later, it sounded like someone had a belt sander on the camshaft.