Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Updating the VF to 2020

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
An electric passenger seat is something I would be very interested in doing, as the manual seat sits too high and results in tall passengers heads almost touching the roof. The electric drivers seat on the other hand is able to be set much lower.

If I were to find a Calais V passenger seat at the wreckers, remove the base/rails/mechanisms and swap them to the Redline seat, would this work? I'm assuming the loom is already there?

For the cost of a Redline Ute:

An electric operated seat for the driver in my Ute wouldn't have hurt either.

Not having a 'Jesus Handle' on the passenger and driver's sides for old and mobility challenged passengers is a crime.

A poor speaker system in a $60K car is a joke.

Though there is one thing I would give back as I don't need them, a few of the 'out of the box' squeaks and rattles.

And a free headjob after every service would be a nice touch as I already feel like I've been fu*ked.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
For the cost of a Redline Ute:

An electric operated seat for the driver in my Ute wouldn't have hurt either.

Not having a 'Jesus Handle' on the passenger and driver's sides for old and mobility challenged passengers is a crime.

A poor speaker system in a $60K car is a joke.

Though there is one thing I would give back as I don't need them, a few of the 'out of the box' squeaks and rattles.

And a free headjob after every service would be a nice touch as I already feel like I've been fu*ked.

Yes, Holden have done some incredibly stupid things when it comes to cost cutting and decontenting.
Redlines should have been on par with Calais V for features/electrics no ifs or buts. The cost saving of deleting these features would have been negligible at best, yet all they have achieved is pissing off some of their most loyal customers.

One of the stupidest things they ever did was deleting the glovebox light in the VE. I bought a new VE Calais (non V) in 2010 and it didn't even come with a glovebox light.... yet even a cheap and nasty shitheap like a Hyundai Getz still managed to have one. Go figure.
Now it may seem extremely minor, but I did have a few instances where I had to look for something in the glovebox in the dark and had to resort to using the light on my phone. Very frustrating for a car I paid almost 40k for.
They were hell bent on keeping the bean counters happy, but they failed to realise the damage they were doing to the brand by souring people's perception of the product.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ

What ! You are expecting them to pull the heads off, valve grind, decoke and polish with a normal service ? Bit much.

Ohhhh…. I think I get it now ……. I'm old and easily confused. So, back to the original subject.

To update a VF to 2020, chop off 5 cylinders, add a twin turbo charger, turn the motor 90 degrees to drive the front wheels, put an electric motor and battery pack where the diff was, add a 60cm screen and keyboard to the dash, paint it all matt battleship grey.
Stupid suggestion, but that is how I see current new cars.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Yes, Holden have done some incredibly stupid things when it comes to cost cutting and decontenting.
Redlines should have been on par with Calais V for features/electrics no ifs or buts. The cost saving of deleting these features would have been negligible at best, yet all they have achieved is pissing off some of their most loyal customers.

One of the stupidest things they ever did was deleting the glovebox light in the VE. I bought a new VE Calais (non V) in 2010 and it didn't even come with a glovebox light.... yet even a cheap and nasty shitheap like a Hyundai Getz still managed to have one. Go figure.
Now it may seem extremely minor, but I did have a few instances where I had to look for something in the glovebox in the dark and had to resort to using the light on my phone. Very frustrating for a car I paid almost 40k for.
They were hell bent on keeping the bean counters happy, but they failed to realise the damage they were doing to the brand by souring people's perception of the product.

They did the same with the VE.

The first run of Calais V's were far better appointed then the subsequent runs.

Not only were they cost cutting but after they received all the positive press and the reviews were in the media they slowly started decontenting knowing most people looking to purchase would see those initial reviews and not know the cars had lost some of their shine.

I remember a friend parking his new Senator next to my earlier version Calais V and his disappointment that the finish materials that were used in my car where lo longer available for his.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
What ! You are expecting them to pull the heads off, valve grind, decoke and polish with a normal service ? Bit much.

Ohhhh…. I think I get it now ……. I'm old and easily confused. So, back to the original subject.

To update a VF to 2020, chop off 5 cylinders, add a twin turbo charger, turn the motor 90 degrees to drive the front wheels, put an electric motor and battery pack where the diff was, add a 60cm screen and keyboard to the dash, paint it all matt battleship grey.
Stupid suggestion, but that is how I see current new cars.

The sense of humour is weak in this one.

But seriously my VF2 Ute didn't need to be short changed compared to the sedan.

The dealer didn't have any Utes so they gave me a Redline sedan to take home for a few days as a test vehicle and at no time did anyone tell me afterwards that the Ute would be stripped of some of the basics as I outlined, I found that out after I paid for it and took it home.

I was disappointed to say the least and to make matters worse, the VF2 may have had more creature comforts to offer than the VE but the VE kills it for build quality and is nowhere near as flimsy.

For example the handles in the seats to recline them foward are nice and thick and solid in your hand in the VE but they are thin and flexible and feel as though they are going to break if you're not careful in the VF2 and that is just a start of the differences I have notice in the materials used.

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
Led or brighter headlights are about the only thing I want as I use the car lot (1/2 of the total kms I put in the car are all rural highway miles) for road trips around WA and these lights are **** compared to the xeons I had in my (always breaking down) BMW 335i.

And some exhaust, intake, tune mods to bring the power back upto the LS3 HSV levels, as the VF 2 LS3 is obviously choked due to keep the marketing suits and the Greta overlords happy, but f*** those people lol

I don't really care too much for other crap like AEB, self driving or AA, carplay.

Edit: oh and Stop/start ranks as one of my biggest hates on mandatory crap vehicle manufactures put on... thank ******* god the VF don't have it.

1st thing I do when driving my mum's 328i is to turn that pos off and if my next car has it (very likely), I'll be looking at programming the main ECU to turn it off permanently.

Last edited:

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Here's an easy update mod I did , but a little exy for what it is
IMG_20180625_165228.jpg

AAAC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Motorsport
Remote window operation. The hardware, at least for the front windows, is already there.
Electrochromatic mirrors.
HID headlights and static cornering lamps.
External boot release.
Cooled seats.
Factory DRLs that dim at night.