Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Using Driving/ Fog lights at night

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
are you kidding?
having fog lights on 100% of the time makes you and your car 100% cooler!

true dat ....

Are the lights fitted standard into the VF (SS range at least - down low in the bumpers) daytime running lights?
I don't actually get the car nor it's owner's manual 'til Sunday week.
the led strip yes, not the round ones
vfcalwag5.jpg

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Who'd be a car designer in Australia? Not only are there national design rules, there's also differing State rules and regulations as well - hence all the confusion.

Anyone who has actually had to drive in thick fog knows that high beams, driving lights and even low (dipped) beams are virtually useless due to back-scatter from water droplets in the air. This has the effect of reflected light shining back into the driver's eyes, creating a "wall of light" effect which dazzles without providing any forward illumination. In other words, you can't see where you're going. Enter the fog light, which is especially designed to give a wide spread of low-intensity light which does actually help forward vision in low-vision environments. Some people swear yellow bulbs are better than white in these situations, but the jury's still out on that one. I've never seen any conclusive studies either way.

Given that properly designed fog lights are low-intensity and don't dazzle, I can't personally see why their use should only be restricted to adverse weather conditions. However, the powers that be have determined otherwise for some reason.

In SA, the law can be summarised as follows:

"A pair of fog lights, showing a beam of white or yellow light may be fitted to the front of a motor vehicle with the centres no higher than the top of the dipped beam headlight.

The lights must be mounted symmetrically not less than 600mm apart.

Fog lights must be capable of being switched on and off independently of any headlights and must only be able to be switched on when the parking lights are on.

Fog lights can only be used in fog or conditions with reduced visibility."

So it would seem VF's with factory-fitted fog lights do not comply with SA's regs, as you can turn them on when the headlights are on. However, the handbook does say "In very heavy fog, vision may be improved by having the park lamps and fog lamps on and turning the headlights off.
Check State laws regarding use of fog lamps when driving."

This seems a sensible compromise to me. It caters for all States, but leaves the final responsibility to the driver to comply with relevant State laws and regulations. Just so long as the cops don't nab you for the factory wiring not being in accordance with State laws! :)

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
This seems a sensible compromise to me. It caters for all States, but leaves the final responsibility to the driver to comply with relevant State laws and regulations. Just so long as the cops don't nab you for the factory wiring not being in accordance with State laws! :)

If they were wired in as they were originally manufactured, it's legal and you can't get in trouble for it. Same as heaps of new cars that have tinted windows which are darker than the darkest legal tint here in Australia. Lots of the newer toyota's are like that.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Don't think my fog lights will trouble anyone, drove in heavy rains today and found the fog light glass full of condensations...I didn't even use them.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Don't think my fog lights will trouble anyone, drove in heavy rains today and found the fog light glass full of condensations...I didn't even use them.

they are for fog, not rain.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
It is foggy all right (inside the glass) Ha..Ha..As I said, I didn't use them in the rain.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
turn on your a/c....
I meant the glass inside the Fog light units got foggy up with condensations. Had me wonder how air con is going to clear that. Ha..Ha..Ha..

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I use my foggies.

Basically if weather permits, then i do but generally all the time.

I have them adjusted to not blind ppl and sat on a milk crate in front of the car within 10metres and no problem.
In fact headlights blind me.

Isnt exactly a good way to measure and determine and such but have checked numerous times.

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
You know what happens when some knob flashes me - rare but occasionally this happens.

They get full high beam straight back at them for a good 3 or 4 seconds - see that dufus? that's what hb looks like.

Well maybe it will be a police car that flashes you. Get him to first explain the law and then write you the ticket. You don't want to try and think of two things at once.