Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Using Driving/ Fog lights at night

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It's OK; he may be breaking the law & pissing all other road users off, but what's WAY more important is that he looks cool!

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
You know what happens when some knob flashes me - rare but occasionally this happens.

They get full high beam straight back at them for a good 3 or 4 seconds - see that dufus? that's what hb looks like.

Well maybe it will be a police car that flashes you. Get him to first explain the law and then write you the ticket. You don't want to try and think of two things at once.

Hahahahahahaha same here

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Well maybe it will be a police car that flashes you. Get him to first explain the law and then write you the ticket. You don't want to try and think of two things at once.

Afaik, and I could be wrong it is always completely illegal to flash headlamps at oncoming traffic - and yes that includes me blinding you. :)

I have never seen a copper flash someone in my 20+ years of driving, have you? Any traffic stops are from behind and they don't just flash you with headlights - because that would be stupid, they have those fancy blue and red jobbies.

Is that just before they crash into you?

I have standard lights, adjusted correctly. They would not dazzle anyone.

You wanna flash me prepared for high beam in your face!

There are a few things that pee me off when driving relating to headlights, stupid badly adjusted aftermarket lights and some spanner flashing their lights at me, I squint at the twat with the aftermakets and well retaliate to the spanner - is it immature? yup - do I care? not really.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
What if it's a helpful fellow motorist warning you of some form of danger up ahead? :)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
What if it's a helpful fellow motorist warning you of some form of danger up ahead? :)

If only we were civilised like in Europe where hazard lights are used as intended not for the purpose of - I just want to illegally park here.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think they use hazards for warning people behind, but still flash lights for oncoming traffic (well that was my admittedly-limited experience).
My comment above was 'cos I was thinking ... hey, I do actually flash oncoming traffic if there's something Funky ahead of them, like sheep on a twisty 100-zone road or something like that (I'm not suggesting I would ever interfere with police safety enforcement via radar).

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think they use hazards for warning people behind, but still flash lights for oncoming traffic (well that was my admittedly-limited experience).
My comment above was 'cos I was thinking ... hey, I do actually flash oncoming traffic if there's something Funky ahead of them, like sheep on a twisty 100-zone road or something like that (I'm not suggesting I would ever interfere with police safety enforcement via radar).

It is illegal to flash your lights to warn of speed cameras in Aus

In Australia, flashing your lights will land you in trouble with the law.

NSW police media say that while there’s no specific law against flashing your lights to warn other motorists, doing so may still result in a fine and demerit points.

The official term for the offence is “Use high-beam on oncoming vehicle less than 200 metres”, and the penalty is an $88 fine and one demerit point. There’s another law that also covers flashing your headlights “not as prescribed” which could also cost you $88 but no points.

In Victoria, the law is the same – you’re not permitted to use high-beam within 200 metres of oncoming traffic, but there’s no specific rule surrounding warning other drivers of police presence.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Indeed, of this I was aware; and even though as car enthusiasts we have all seen the bogus research massaged by Monash University which fails to prove any correlation between the use of speed cameras and an improvement to road safety & hence we all know that the use of radar cameras is an ongoing political stunt being used by politicians to make it look as though they are "doing something about road safety", of course I (along with the rest of us) would never interfere in the political exercise.

Bradbucky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm Sportwagon
Just to get back to my original post, I've since talked to a cop who works in traffic and he has told me that here in Tasmania it is NOT illegal to operate fog lights at the same time as headlights. Fog lights should not blind anyone. So my theory is that the oncoming drivers are just mistaking the two sets of lights for high beam.