Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Using Driving/ Fog lights at night

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Just to get back to my original post, I've since talked to a cop who works in traffic and he has told me that here in Tasmania it is NOT illegal to operate fog lights at the same time as headlights. Fog lights should not blind anyone. So my theory is that the oncoming drivers are just mistaking the two sets of lights for high beam.

it's illegal to operate them when there is no fog though.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Just to get back to my original post, I've since talked to a cop who works in traffic and he has told me that here in Tasmania it is NOT illegal to operate fog lights at the same time as headlights. Fog lights should not blind anyone. So my theory is that the oncoming drivers are just mistaking the two sets of lights for high beam.

Correct. In fact it would be dangerous to drive with just normal Holden fog lights on. In most states they also have to be able to be turned on and off independently of head lights and only be used when there is fog.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Just do the right thing by other drivers, and turn them off when you don't need them. I.e. When there is no fog.

Bradbucky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm Sportwagon
I've said it before but I will say it again,it was FOGGY and RAINING.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Would suggest you get the alignment checked. Fog lights should only throw out a wide low light. Have you had the car since new? Maybe someone has tried to turn them into driving lights.

Bradbucky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm Sportwagon
Thanks Noeleter,
I bought the car from a dealer with only 4000km's on it.
I was thinking alignment might have been the issue as well but to my naked eye they seem fine.
With the way our weather is at the moment I wont have to wait long to give them another try!

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Would suggest you get the alignment checked. Fog lights should only throw out a wide low light. Have you had the car since new? Maybe someone has tried to turn them into driving lights.

being rain they were probably reflecting up - if the fogs not heavy then this would present an issue for oncoming motorists.

and I've never seen heavy fog and rain at the same time.

Bradbucky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Storm Sportwagon
Happens all the time here in Tassie too.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Tasmanian Department Of State Growth - Transport said:
Front Fog Lights
The new road rules now require that a driver of a vehicle fitted with front fog lights (or rear fog lights) must not operate the fog lights unless the driver is driving in fog or other hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility.
I don't think it's illegal in NSW to use both fogs & headlights; but I know it's as illegal as in Tasmania to use them when it's not foggy &/or rainy.
And yeah, I've definitely seen both at once ... F6 from Wollongong plays those games with drivers.