Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS diff oil viscosity??

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Hey Guys,

I've searched but couldn't find a definitive answer. Should I be using a 75/90 or 80/140 gear oil in my LSD???? or is it another viscosity all together? I will probably go with penrite pro-gear once I know the correct viscosity.

Thanks in advance.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
pro gear 80/140 for diff, while your at it might as well do the gearbox (if manual) pro gear 70w/75

gunsmoke

Gunsmoke
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VZ Exec
Be wary of what oil u put in the LSD diff. The diff has a tag that says something like 'carbon modified oil reqd' and puck knows what that means. perhaps ask Holden..
Please also double check but the manual has a label saying use Dextron #3.......that auto trans fluid....DOUBLE CHECK.'06 VE SS

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Yeah I've done the box oil with the penrite 70/75, its fantastic now which is why I'm using their product for the diff. I've seen some usa forum discussions around the Castrol carbon carbon modified diff oil and I don't think its available here off the shelf, maybe only at a dealer but considering holden use shite auto trans fluid in manual gearboxes which contributes to poor shift quality, I don't put much faith in their recommended lubricants so I will run with Penrite Progear which is dosed for LSD's so should be ok.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
+++1 ^^^^^^, yep makes heaps of difference in your box for shifting (you could also replace the crap rubber bush at the front of the shifter for whiteline product-makes a difference too) and it is the recommended replacement for the crap that holdens put in it (both sealed for life like F***k, no oil is that good, if its the same oil as the auto why do they have to change it then at certain intervals?? same type of oil (penrite) in my diff for the last 65,000klm, just changed it a couple of months ago

gunsmoke

Gunsmoke
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VZ Exec
Wow good food for thought.
I dont think the shift is that bad, but then i also drive a Landcruiser ute truck !!
Any more info on that bush you mention SSV8?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
ive been using the Nulon 80-140 diff oil and nulon additive and its been fine for a couple years now, all oils are like a wearing part and need changing...

gunsmoke

Gunsmoke
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VZ Exec
Update, rang Holden today(Perth dealer)......diff use 75W90 (1L $51) with 100ML of their addative($76)
gearbox can use 75w90 but once i questioned that they said use Dextron 3 (auto trans oil)
So.....make your own call, just sayin what they told me.

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
Yeah I had my guy use Penrite progear 75W90 in the diff and its already dosed with the correct amount of limited slip additive from penrite so all good there. 70w75 is the stuff you want to use in the manual tranny, did that myself and it was pretty easy and the result is well worth the effort.

Had my rear brembo's and custom DBA T3's fitted yesterday, very happy with the result.