Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Exhaust Sound

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Ive got a VF2 Redline and researching for a full exhaust upgrade. So in your humble opinion what are these like from Sureflo with the Ballistic cat? To me it looks there is no collector length before the cat, is that right and therefore no good?

http://www.surefloexhaust.com.au/holden/commodores/ve.htm

I have these on an E3 Maloo, originally with the factory 2.5" cat back.
Untuned, there was 'no loss of torque', it gained torque all the way through the rev range, from idle to WOT.
After a tune, it gained more torque.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I didn't say that the absence of length in the collector was no good, just not optimal. There are better designs, but they still work better than the stock setup.

I do the Hurricane headers with Manta cat back and they have the long collector with a cat that bolts straight up and then connects to the cat back. It has the H pipe as well and can come with just hotdogs in the front or a muffler as well depending on the noise level you are after. As I deal direct with the manufacturer I do them considerably cheaper than anywhere else. As far as quality goes, they are up there with all the leading brands and I would rate them better than most.

TheHulkcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline Spitfire Green
I didn't say that the absence of length in the collector was no good, just not optimal. There are better designs, but they still work better than the stock setup.

I do the Hurricane headers with Manta cat back and they have the long collector with a cat that bolts straight up and then connects to the cat back. It has the H pipe as well and can come with just hotdogs in the front or a muffler as well depending on the noise level you are after. As I deal direct with the manufacturer I do them considerably cheaper than anywhere else. As far as quality goes, they are up there with all the leading brands and I would rate them better than most.
Thanks mate, I really appreciate your comments. So what cats do you use? Can you PM me and send through prices inc shipping to Sydney? Dont know whether to go 2.5" or 3" catback but I think 1 3/4" headers will be fine as I wont be putting in a cam or forced induction (at this stage anyway or in the near future).

VinnieLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Commodore SSV Redline

NAAF is spot on. He looked after me when purchasing my Manta catback. Definitely recommend him.

Exhaust is getting put on Monday NAAF, will let you know how it goes mate.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
NAAF is spot on. He looked after me when purchasing my Manta catback. Definitely recommend him.

Exhaust is getting put on Monday NAAF, will let you know how it goes mate.

Thanks, post up how it goes and your opinion of it.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Another vote for NAAF.

I bought my Manta 2.5 quiet from him.

Great bit of gear, and great service.

If I had my time again, I might have gone with a 3 inch quiet

VinnieLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Commodore SSV Redline
Had my exhaust fitted with OTR and tune Monday.

Absolutely in love with it.

Headers: Di Filippo 1 3/4" to 3" collector
Cats: Sureflo 4" body 3" hi-flo 100cpsi
Cat back: Manta 3" SS Medium Version
OTR: Harrop

Car pulls very very nicely now and is a lot smoother to drive too.

Exhaust is fantastic. Has a great burble at idle and cruising. No drone what so ever. Puttin the foot down is when it gets loud but it' not stupid loud and sounds unreal. So glad I got the medium version over the quiet.

A big thank you to @Not_An_Abba_Fan from Joondalup Exhaust for looking after me with the Manta cat back. Much appreciated and can't recommend him enough.

Made 300KW at the rears

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Had my exhaust fitted with OTR and tune Monday.

Absolutely in love with it.

Headers: Di Filippo 1 3/4" to 3" collector
Cats: Sureflo 4" body 3" hi-flo 100cpsi
Cat back: Manta 3" SS Medium Version
OTR: Harrop

Car pulls very very nicely now and is a lot smoother to drive too.

Exhaust is fantastic. Has a great burble at idle and cruising. No drone what so ever. Puttin the foot down is when it gets loud but it' not stupid loud and sounds unreal. So glad I got the medium version over the quiet.

A big thank you to @Not_An_Abba_Fan from Joondalup Exhaust for looking after me with the Manta cat back. Much appreciated and can't recommend him enough.

Made 300KW at the rears
That sounds like great results all round. More than 40rwkw more than my VF1 Redline with similar mods. Any chance of a vid or sound clip?
Looking forward to doing similar mods on my VF2.

Mike__

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2ssv
VinnieLS3- yes amazing how much they 'come alive' with a few bolt ons. I had only a tune / gts mid section done before headers / cats / mafless and there was a much more noticeable difference with the latter. Also have a nice burble but a slight drone / humm ~1100rpm under load. Less overall than with the prior setup.

For anyone looking to purchase an airbox infill panel I purchased the harrop item. The plastic is a lot different to that used on the otr - cheap / shiny / rigid / looks like it was cut out with a hacksaw and not moulded. The fitting on my infill was that bad harrop have posted out a replacement. Also i prefer the way the vcm bolts on. Not sure on the plastic used as I've only seen photos but also Consider the vcm.

Steve/cuda - I have 2 clips on my iPhone if you have an email that accepts ~30mb. Still haven't got around to downloading to the laptop.

Mike