Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS with a W547

Holdenowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS W547
Hi members, first post- I couldn’t find any specific information on the forum.

I am buying a VF SS with a W547 supercharger put on by the dealer post delivery (at 500kms) It has all the certification from Walkinshaw.

I’m buying the car from NSW and bringing it back to Vic. I was assuming all was ok for RWC and registration in Victoria as it was done by Walkinshaw. Has anyone done a RWC and registered such a car in Vic? Any issues? Who would I need to speak with to make sure I’ll have no issues.

Thanks Owen

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
Hi Owen and Welcome!
The car sounds like a beauty mate.

To the best of my knowledge, Walkinshaw don't issue an engineering certificate for what are still aftermarket modifications.

Can you get it rego'd here in Vic? You can, if you get it certified by an engineer for the modifications, or know a mechanic who will pass it for you and issue you with a rwc.

Holdenowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS W547
Hi Owen and Welcome!
The car sounds like a beauty mate.

To the best of my knowledge, Walkinshaw don't issue an engineering certificate for what are still aftermarket modifications.

Can you get it rego'd here in Vic? You can, if you get it certified by an engineer for the modifications, or know a mechanic who will pass it for you and issue you with a rwc.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. So the likelihood is that it’s not Road Worthy? Should I go to Vicroads and ask? Would that be the best idea?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Best ring VicRoads (they have an engineering section) and Walkinshaw and ask them the question directly. That way you’ll get the info directly from the group that defines the rules in Vic and the mob that engineered the kit ;)

Note I say ”engineered the kit” because that’s what Walkinshaw themselves say about yje kit on their website:

All products have been developed and engineered by Walkinshaw Performance Engineers to meet the exacting standards and high levels of quality that would be expected from an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM).​

PS: the package doesn’t include a new high flow fuel pump and one member supposedly had engine issues due to lean condition which Walkinshaw failed to honour via their drive line warranty… not sure what 6je end outcome was as the thread describing the whole shamozle never defined the end result as far as I remember.… so great kit but maybe not?

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The Walkinshaw branding and marketing seemed like an attempt at implying their products and modifications had factory alliance assumed to be ADR compliant. Realistically, Walkinshaw components and kits are no different than modifications supplied by Harrop or Joe's Hotrods.

Given that Holdens were the most commonly modified cars in Australia and probably still are today, I'm surprised that Holden never ventured into a BMW proven business model with M Performance Parts and marketed upgrades under HSV branding.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
Hi Owen, give HPF (Walkinshaw workshop) in Dandenong a call ask for Mario, he’ll help you out

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The Walkinshaw branding and marketing seemed like an attempt at implying their products and modifications had factory alliance assumed to be ADR compliant. Realistically, Walkinshaw components and kits are no different than modifications supplied by Harrop or Joe's Hotrods.

Given that Holdens were the most commonly modified cars in Australia and probably still are today, I'm surprised that Holden never ventured into a BMW proven business model with M Performance Parts and marketed upgrades under HSV branding.
But Walkinshaw makes clear statements re engineering that exceeds OEM standards (the implication being that it’s also compliant with road standards) and they also make claims about driveline warranties on their website. So either they are making false claims or they are not honouring their engineering/warranties or both…

If indeed it’s not engineering approved, ACCC and the consumer groups need to look into such shitfuckery.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
They got close with HSVi?
They did to a point with a new car order, but I'm thinking of BMW's M Performance parts you can buy with a new car or after sales, things like wheels, spoiler kits, big brake kits, coil over shock and spring kits, exhaust systems, revised tunes etc. that's all ADR approved with full factory supply and warranty.
But Walkinshaw makes clear statements re engineering that exceeds OEM standards (the implication being that it’s also compliant with road standards)
I enquired for someone to find out if the Walkinshaw engine upgrade kits had designated tunes like a specific remap or tuning file perhaps re-flashed via HP Tuners. I discovered the tunes are provided at the dyno bloke's discretion at each Walkinshaw Performance agent, so the tune quality is dependant on the skill of each agent's tuning bloke with a strong likelihood that some are better than others.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
But Walkinshaw makes clear statements re engineering that exceeds OEM standards (the implication being that it’s also compliant with road standards) and they also make claims about driveline warranties on their website. So either they are making false claims or they are not honouring their engineering/warranties or both…

If indeed it’s not engineering approved, ACCC and the consumer groups need to look into such shitfuckery.
I’ve never read their spiels that way … “engineering” has always been about design of the mechanical bits not government certification, and “exceeding OEM standards” reads more to me about longevity &/or performance.

I do kinda agree with you regarding the legality of the shitfuckery, but then I’m less keen on some sort of modified-car witch-hunt.