Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
remove the start relay
then attempt to start, obviously wont start but will help to narrow down problem area
from memory some commodore relays are wired differently internally
maybe grab a genuine start relay from the wreckers
unless you are confident to test start relay

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
@vc commodore, helping forum members and some friendly discussion is why many of us are here, may be to also learn a thing or two on the journey.

But you seem to enjoy criticising or demeaning people whenever the opportunity (as you see it) arises. I’ve already said I may be wrong about whether a VT has a fusible link on the starter cable so how many cars I’ve worked or whether you’ve moved a battery into the boot isn’t the issue.

The issue is why the 60A main feasible link blows (and in part whether the wiring diagrams are 100% accurate and can be relied on for fault finding). One of either a wiring fault, alternator fault or starter fault is likely the culprit ;)

If there is no fusible link/wire on the main starter cable, that’s just cost cutting by the manufacturer, not good engineering principles :eek:

So you are saying, I am unable to correct your mistakes, as it is seen as criticising or demeaning you...o_O...We'll leave it as that then

Benji_john93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY One tonner S2 3.8L
remove the start relay
then attempt to start, obviously wont start but will help to narrow down problem area
from memory some commodore relays are wired differently internally
maybe grab a genuine start relay from the wreckers
unless you are confident to test start relay

I already tested the start relay, it and the fuses where the first place i looked and tested :/

Benji_john93

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY One tonner S2 3.8L
Yep I second that as the wiring from s/relay to the solenoid pole has power to it even if the ignition key is off..... and this wiring is the link through to the main 60A fuse. :)
Most of us have found out the hard way with knowing power is always on at the solenoid when we have worked under car and accident touched a metal tool across the poles/engine block plus checking starting with screw driver and other things when your working on your own;)

If the OP wanted to test solenoid, he can hook up a remote starter to it and after turning ignition key on to start only , hit the remote starter switch and see if it turns starter motor at all or blows the 60A. Might be rear fuel pump which is wired to ignition system/start as the OP mentioned what the previous owner did to ignition key/pump to start car. :)

At first i thought it was the fuel pump but ive checked the fuse for it and its fine, i can also hear it priming as usual when i turn key to position. Could it still be fuel pump related though?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
So you are saying, I am unable to correct your mistakes, as it is seen as criticising or demeaning you...o_O...We'll leave it as that then
What i'm saying is that others already corrected my statement before you popped your head in and what you said wasn't so much a correction but rather the beginings of your occassional style of writing.

Starting with "you haven't played with cars much have you" set the tone for the rest of your "strange" dribble.

If you don't reply to any of my posts in future, well i wont loose any sleep.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Benji_john93, it could be anything as possibly many people have owned it and fiddled with the wiring over the years before you bought it.

So what's the wiring like within the engine bay, relatively clean or covered in oil?

Just note that wiring will wick up oil that lands on it and over time that oil degrades the insulation. Heat also degrades insulation over time as it makes it brittle (so vibrations then crack the insulation).

With wiring that is oil covered or heat affected, it's nor inconceivable that you can have (many) wiring faults within those looms.

Then there is the issue of what mods/fixes the previous owners have done to the looms. Some do things well, others don't...

Sounds like you'll need to chase wiring faults...

Last edited:

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Alright guys so ive pulled the starter motor out today and checked it and its working fine? So i guess i need to check the alternator next and then go hunting for a dodgy wire somewhere?

And do please get back to us if and when you do find out what the problem is/was, as this helps others who may be needing help.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
I already tested the start relay, :/
just rechecked the diagram, the relay is wired normally just make sure your relay does not have an internal diode as that will blow the fuse
from the relay the wiring runs to the starter solenoid and nothing else
so if fuse only blows in start position with start relay in place there is only a couple of things to check

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Alright guys so ive pulled the starter motor out today and checked it and its working fine? So i guess i need to check the alternator next and then go hunting for a dodgy wire somewhere?
Hey You didn't have to take starter motor out to test, just taking starter relay and placing wire between 2 pin terminals in the fuse box in the relay rack would have powered the solenoid and shown if starter worked.
If your 60A engine fuse is blowing then you have a major current short somewhere in car. If its not an item then as skylarking suggested checked the loom/wires for even corrosion, especially body earth wires.
It could be anywhere that powers up with ignition on/start, even your ignition switch which would be the 1st thing to rule out.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Hey You didn't have to take starter motor out to test, just taking starter relay and placing wire between 2 pin terminals in the fuse box in the relay rack would have powered the solenoid and shown if starter worked.
If your 60A engine fuse is blowing then you have a major current short somewhere in car. If its not an item then as skylarking suggested checked the loom/wires for even corrosion, especially body earth wires.
It could be anywhere that powers up with ignition on/start, even your ignition switch which would be the 1st thing to rule out.

He's already tried with a known good ignition switch, same result.

Yeah i tried it with the other relay of the same type with no luck, also tried it with a start relay from a v6 vt (was the same type) and no luck.

Today i switched out the ignition switch with one i knew works and still no luck, had a look at the earth point behind battery aswell as the earth leads around there.

I need to get the car up on stands and check the starter and alternator, hopefully its either of those