Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Off thread I know, but:
Ford put a new engine in the Focus under warranty. One piston had failed. Not sure if cracked rings, ring lands, melted or otherwise?
Sold it the follwoing day...My Daughter lost only $6k in ~2 years. She was just glad to see it gone.
AS you know, ACL states where a major fault exists with a product, it is the purchases choice for a remedy, be it repair or replacement or full refund, your choice. So, I was hoping to read how you went with a small claim against Ford based on the vehicle having a major fault that Ford couldn’t repair the few times previously presented to them.

Now I know small claims can be a pain to deal with but the process is well defined and not costly. In Victoria, lodging a VCAT small claims for full replacement cost of vehicle only sets one back <$500 while fees for repair claims up to certain value are <$200.

It’s always a punt, can take a few days to prepaid the claim and the actual court setting can feel intimidating but the law WAS on your side, especially on this Focus gearbox issue. Remember, there was an ACCC undertaking by Ford to handle such problems according to ACL and should be on the ACCC web site somewhere. Really, Ford should have given you a full refund.

So i’m curious why you let Ford again try and repair the shitbox focus and thus let them off the hook, taking a $6k hit in the process when you sold the vehicle.

Hope your daughter has nothing but joy with the Astra VXR :D

As for @lsute12 , well he should move on his small claims court claim against Walkinshaw where he can ask for a full refund of what he paid for the mods, a new standard engine to return him to pre Walkinshaw mods status + some compensation for the vehicle depreciation and inconvenience while he was unable to enjoy his property. Then when that’s sorted, he can look at other options and advise for mods from these forums. So @lsute12 let us know what is happening and where you’re at with it... we are all waiting in anticipation ;)

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
AS you know, ACL states where a major fault exists with a product, it is the purchases choice for a remedy, be it repair or replacement or full refund, your choice. So, I was hoping to read how you went with a small claim against Ford based on the vehicle having a major fault that Ford couldn’t repair the few times previously presented to them.

Now I know small claims can be a pain to deal with but the process is well defined and not costly. In Victoria, lodging a VCAT small claims for full replacement cost of vehicle only sets one back <$500 while fees for repair claims up to certain value are <$200.

It’s always a punt, can take a few days to prepaid the claim and the actual court setting can feel intimidating but the law WAS on your side, especially on this Focus gearbox issue. Remember, there was an ACCC undertaking by Ford to handle such problems according to ACL and should be on the ACCC web site somewhere. Really, Ford should have given you a full refund.

So i’m curious why you let Ford again try and repair the shitbox focus and thus let them off the hook, taking a $6k hit in the process when you sold the vehicle.

Hope your daughter has nothing but joy with the Astra VXR :D

As for @lsute12 , well he should move on his small claims court claim against Walkinshaw where he can ask for a full refund of what he paid for the mods, a new standard engine to return him to pre Walkinshaw mods status + some compensation for the vehicle depreciation and inconvenience while he was unable to enjoy his property. Then when that’s sorted, he can look at other options and advise for mods from these forums. So @lsute12 let us know what is happening and where you’re at with it... we are all waiting in anticipation ;)
Yes, agree 100%. However, it was not my decision in the end. A shame, as I was ready for battle. I like a good stouch. But, unfortunately my Daughter was simply worn down and wanted to be rid of it. She also didn't want to lose the sale.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yes, agree 100%. However, it was not my decision in the end. A shame, as I was ready for battle. I like a good stouch. But, unfortunately my Daughter was simply worn down and wanted to be rid of it. She also didn't want to lose the sale.
Yes, we all have our limits on what we can tolerate which can vary with age. Sounds like your daughter reached her limit and wanted to move on.

I get disappointed when people let issues go by and don’t fight the fight for their rights but I understand we all can’t be wariours. As Dirty Harry said, “a man's got to know his limitations” and that’s also true for women.

I’m sure she will enjoy the VRX manual. One day she could pop by Ford and tell the idiot sales man women can drive manuals so it must be Ford double clutch gearboxes are ****... but why bother, Ford knows it ;)

lsute12

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VF SSV
Will have something down on paper by the end of this week. Thanks for the continued support on this.

@monster your wording will be fairly plagiarised on this letter, it reads fairly well. Just so you know....

lsute12

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VF SSV
Gentlemen,

Please see first run of letter below.

Let me know what you think, once again thanks everyone (@monstar particularly) for the push to make a start on this.

Dear Manager,

RE: COMPLAINT ABOUT W457 FUEL PUMP CAPACITY

I am unhappy with the suitability of the stock non modified fuel pump capacity supplied with your W457 kits. I bought this car in August 2017 with a brand new engine purchased from HSV, catastrophically failed within a year of the replacement engine going into the car and I am writing to seek compensation.

Stock LSA ‘sand every GenIV LS supercharged applications requires more fuel than a stock pump can deliver without a reflashed FPCM and/or external voltage booster (referenced to boost). Without the above modifications the setup is inevitably going to run lean and blow up, particularly with larger injectors and a supercharger supplied from an LS9.

I have contacted a well renowned LS tuner from the United States, Dave Steck of DSX tuning who has recommended that anything which makes around 450hp at the wheels or less (roughly same as the W457 kit supplied) could be supplied by the factory system however the pumps settings would have to be edited which is not completed with the W457 kit.

In comparison to the W457 kit, the LSA has a 1900 supercharger, lower compression ratio and same fuel pump as found in the SS commodore (boost referenced FPCM) and safely outputs 430kW.

The W457 kit utilises the stock L77 which has reasonably high compression with a 20% larger supercharger then the LSA without providing any more fuel supply capacity from the pump. Tuning this engine to safely produce 457kW with a safe margin of fuel delivery using the standard pump as is, not boost referenced factory stock NA FCPM was destined to fail.

Again, the 2300 supercharger supplied with the W457 kit is fitted to a hand built, low compression engine fitted with custom forged pistons in the Z06 and GTS-RW1. These builds include titanium conrods to handle the increased stresses. These two components are fundamental engineering at this level of tune, and is reciprocated in the huge price difference between the reasonably available LSA and its LS9 (W1 = 250,000). The fuel pump supplied with these engines are precisely controlled with specific boost referenced firmware in the FPCM co-processor which costs around $1000.

To bolt on a 2300 with higher fuel demands to a stock high compression motor with NA pistons and NA fuel pump, without provision in the FPCM firmware or adding a “Boost at Pump” or similiar to meet safe on-boost referenced demand, has led to the fuel pressure difference across injectors to drop catastrophically lower than commanded.

This lean condition has caused a detonation pressure spike in cylinder #5 that exceeded engineering specifications and piston damage sustained from use of (incorrect type) piston causing major engine failure.

I have attached photo’s of the hole in number #5 piston and associated damage to the cylinder wall and heads for reference. I have also included the baseline tune taken from the ECU and fuel system inspection letter from a licensed mechanic including injector test.

I would like to have this problem fixed quickly please. If I do not hear from you within 10 days, I will lodge a formal complaint with Consumer Affairs in my state.

You can contact me on 04xx xxx xxx to discuss this matter further.

Yours sincerely,

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Looks good, gets the point across. Maybe a reasonable period for response is 21 days, anyway ball is in their court.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I would expect 10 business days to be a reasonable timeframe for a response.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I'd even say 5 business days. Put the pressure on otherwise the issue will be pushed into the background and not taken seriously. Once you've sent the e-mail, keep in contact with them and request updates on the matter's progress every couple of days. Means that you're always in the forefront of their minds so you may become a priority.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Have you written to WP previously? Or, contacted them and kept contemporaneous notes?
If not, then the letter is a good step.
If so, then the next step may be to lodge a enquiry here:
https://www.cas.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/icmspublicweb/forms/Enquiry.html or same in your state.
Fair Trading can then advise you on the best course of action. Which, may well be to send WP your letter? Although, I would cite the dates and nature of previous corro with them.
It always helps to be seen to have followed the recommended path.
Advising WP that you have already taken this approach, and are writing to them on the advice of FT, will likely prompt a more considered and reasonable response. Rather than threatening to do so if they don't respond.
If you don't already have a one, it would also help to get a copy of the standard WP warranty supplied with the W457 kit.
I hope this helps.
Good luck.

Last edited: