Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

lsute12

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VF SSV
Hi all. This has gone to walkinshaw and they are paying attention. I'll keep you guys updated.

lsute12

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VF SSV
And the response after the distributor tried to palm me off to walkinshaw I advised him to forward my complaint to Walkinshaw on my behalf and advise me of the outcome.

Here is the response:

It is unfortunate to hear the news of the engine damage to your vehicle.

Looking at the photos that have been supplied it looks very much like detonation has occurred to cause such engine damage.

We believe the cause of such engine damage is not related to the fuel pump as per your letter but rather either using incorrect rated fuel (98 RON rated fuel is required) or the calibration/tune from the package has been altered from when it left our agents Powertorque Engines. We cannot confirm this unless we have access to the vehicle to investigate.

The fuel pump in the standard VF Commodore can handle a constant 4 bar of pressure which is good for street cars running to 400-440kW at the wheels (these pumps are rated as E85 compatible from factory). The W457 package typically runs around 380-390kW at the wheels so we have no concerns the standard fuel pump is able to provide adequate fuel to run the W457 package adequately.

The Deka 60 lb injectors are supplied as part of all our WP230 supercharger packages to alleviate any fuelling concerns. These are the same injectors that you have had flow tested at KPM Motorsport which have been tested to be within specifications according to the report you have supplied.

I have your vehicle details as the following:

2014 Redline SS-V Ute (L77 6.0L)

VIN: removed

W457 package fitted 12/3/2014 with 45KM on the Odometer at removed in Queensland.

Holden factory & Walkinshaw Performance warranty has since expired on this vehicle.

From your letter you mentioned that you purchased the car in August 2017 at which time it was fitted with a new engine. May I ask why the vehicle needed a new engine in the first place? When buying a second hand car typically engine replacements are very rare. You also mentioned at this time the engine was purchased from HSV. HSV has never used the 6.0L L77 engine in any model and I know for a fact that HSV don’t sell these engines as service parts.

Due to the warranty period expiring and the circumstances of the failure of 2 engines in this vehicle we cannot offer you any compensation on your claim. We believe the circumstances of the failure of the engine are not due to any part of the W457 package being fitted to the vehicle.

Please give me some ammo guys!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Well the statement that 4 bar is [sufficient] for street cars running to 400-440 rwkw is correct, but not the issue. There is no way the "ZL1" fuel pump controlled by the boost referenced ZL1 can deliver 4 bar to produce 400-440rwkw peak at safe AFR for stock heads, never mind the stock SS control module fitted to your car.
That, is the supplier's engineering flaw and crux of your complaint. The capability is demonstrable using physics, real-world (empirical) data and expert testimony easily available online which I will endeavour to organise for you.
Basically you need to lodge a complaint with Walkinshaw and claim to rectify ASAP. These people are installers, not likely the ones providing the warranty.
If a similar letter is forthcoming from Walkinshaw then there are several avenues to escalate this.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
FWIW...a retailer (in this case the installer) is just as liable as a manufacturer under ACL. They cannot palm you off onto the manufacturer.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Of interest to me is their comment about a changed tune after leaving their agent and they would need the car to check. The walky agents I know of do a custom dyno and don't just flash in the Walky tune. So do they mean if the tune is not the Walky one (if they assume that is what the agent installed)? Else unless they have a copy of the tune when the car left the agent (Walky or not) of what use would having the car be? Unless of course if whatever tune is on the car they can show as a bad tune. I hope they are not implying that the car has to have the generic Walky tune because as I said, the tuners in Adelaide all do a custom tune, not just one dyno run to check air fuel etc.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Of interest to me is their comment about a changed tune after leaving their agent and they would need the car to check. The walky agents I know of do a custom dyno and don't just flash in the Walky tune. So do they mean if the tune is not the Walky one (if they assume that is what the agent installed)? Else unless they have a copy of the tune when the car left the agent (Walky or not) of what use would having the car be? Unless of course if whatever tune is on the car they can show as a bad tune. I hope they are not implying that the car has to have the generic Walky tune because as I said, the tuners in Adelaide all do a custom tune, not just one dyno run to check air fuel etc.
At which point, the risk of engine damage due to an incorrect parameter in the tune is not the fault of Walkinshaw and is that of the person with the laptop and tuning software who has potentially made an error causing the failure.

Walkinshaw have created a package, including a tune to hold the components as supplied inside a tolerable safe range. And any variation of that, which includes changing the tune or failing to meet their fueling standards is outside their control.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Which just proves that retailer installing the Walkinshaw packages fit the parts, upload the tune, run it up on the rollers to make sure all is doing as it should and call it good. IF the shop is altering the tune Walkinshaw can/will wash their hands off it and I doubt the certified installers will not do this.

Walkinshaw packages = generic Walkinshaw tune. Nothing custom about it really.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Just out of interest I called Walkinshaw. At least with regard to their Blown packages, the supply a generic base tune but their dealers then perform a full custom tune to suit the car on the dyno.