Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what caravans can i tow with a vf sv6 commodore ute?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
You want to trigger this guy, talk towing.

He is an automotive engineer. He knows his stuff better than most. There’s little argument

Lol I've seen him roasted by other engineers on another forum he actually is a member of. He writes blogs about cars because he is not the best at engineering.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Lol I've seen him roasted by other engineers on another forum he actually is a member of. He writes blogs about cars because he is not the best at engineering.

Roasted or not what he outlines in the videos about towing is correct.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Hi, I need some help.
what caravans can i tow with a vf commodore ute.
Cheers Mark.
Unbraked maximum of 1000 kg (with nothing the ute bed).
Braked maximum of 1600 kg (with nothing in the ute bed).
Autotrader Link: Holden Ute Towing Capacity

Holden Commodore style utes have a lower maximum towing capacity than Holden Commodore sedans and, as others have pointed out, any additional payload in the vehicle itself must not result in the vehicle exceeeding its GVM/W (Gross Vehicle Mass/Weight) or GCM/W (Gross Combination Mass/Weight).

I would recommend a smaller trailer-tent or pop-up caravan for towing behind a ute.
trailertent.jpg

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
VS was the last decent Holden ute for towing. Ford smacked Holden hard with better utes for towing with the XR6 Turbo retaining a live axle and leaf springs. The decision to fit IRS in a ute for load carrying and towing wasn't made with much intelligence.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Unbraked maximum of 1000 kg (with nothing the ute bed).
Braked maximum of 1600 kg (with nothing in the ute bed).
Autotrader Link: Holden Ute Towing Capacity

Holden Commodore style utes have a lower maximum towing capacity than Holden Commodore sedans and, as others have pointed out, any additional payload in the vehicle itself must not result in the vehicle exceeeding its GVM/W (Gross Vehicle Mass/Weight) or GCM/W (Gross Combination Mass/Weight).
[/URL]

I would recommend a smaller trailer-tent or pop-up caravan for towing behind a ute.
View attachment 221156
”Markus sv6“, who‘s from NSW, was last on the forum July 2020. I doubt he’d read your reply.

In any case, I believe the maximum unbraked trailer weight is capped at 750kg across most of not all Australian states. Such is definitely the case in NSW according to the RMS rules for towing as listed here .

The above RMS rules seem relevant for all vehicle classes under 4.5T. So even a ute, which is a light commercial vehicle, should abide by the RMS 750kg unbraked trailer limit.

It‘s rather odd and somewhat contradictory for Autotrader to list a 1000kg an unbraked towing capacity which one can’t legally tow in NSW :eek:

As to your recommendation, I’d add that the small pop-up tent trailer must also have trailer brakes (which I suspect they would all have).

Regardless, as I see it, if you want to tow safely then stay within GTM, GVM and GCM limits (which is a given) but spend some money to get trailer brakes with ABS & ESC fitted to your trailer. In my view, trailer brakes with ABS & ESC should be a mandatory requirement on any small box trailers above GTM 300kg (given the level of infortainment and phone driver distractions which occur these days).

As a parting comment, a lot of these tow rules are historical and much more than half a century old. They stretch back to a time when trucks and anyone towing was limited to 80kph max... Now anyone can tow at the posted speed limit which can be 110kph or more with no legal requirement for trailer brakes that provide ABS & ESC... it’s stupidly ludicrous that trailer laws haven’t matured along similar technological lines as cars. Put another way, unbraced towing of 750kgs (let alone 1000kgs) isn’t for the brave, it’s for the stupid... :oops:

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
”Markus sv6“, who‘s from NSW, was last on the forum July 2020. I doubt he’d read your reply.

In any case, I believe the maximum unbraked trailer weight is capped at 750kg across most of not all Australian states. Such is definitely the case in NSW according to the RMS rules for towing as listed here .

The above RMS rules seem relevant for all vehicle classes under 4.5T. So even a ute, which is a light commercial vehicle, should abide by the RMS 750kg unbraked trailer limit.

It‘s rather odd and somewhat contradictory for Autotrader to list a 1000kg an unbraked towing capacity which one can’t legally tow in NSW :eek:

As to your recommendation, I’d add that the small pop-up tent trailer must also have trailer brakes (which I suspect they would all have).

Regardless, as I see it, if you want to tow safely then stay within GTM, GVM and GCM limits (which is a given) but spend some money to get trailer brakes with ABS & ESC fitted to your trailer. In my view, trailer brakes with ABS & ESC should be a mandatory requirement on any small box trailers above GTM 300kg (given the level of infortainment and phone driver distractions which occur these days).

As a parting comment, a lot of these tow rules are historical and much more than half a century old. They stretch back to a time when trucks and anyone towing was limited to 80kph max... Now anyone can tow at the posted speed limit which can be 110kph or more with no legal requirement for trailer brakes that provide ABS & ESC... it’s stupidly ludicrous that trailer laws haven’t matured along similar technological lines as cars. Put another way, unbraced towing of 750kgs (let alone 1000kgs) isn’t for the brave, it’s for the stupid... :oops:
Hah. This thread popped up in the "New Posts" page and I addressed my reply to the OP without checking, as I have just gone throught the process myself of discovering that my "most powerful ute to leave an Australian Holden factory" has a lower braked towing capacity than my mates 20 year old Holden sedan (both being fitted with factory towbars).

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo

If your tow vehicle can tow 750kg unbraked it can tow it.
Some vehicles can tow 1500kg unbraked yes it's not allowed but some are capable of it.
Me and a mate have towed 3000kg in his hilux braked with cable brakes and it towed it fine. I was driving as he had a 3 month suspension.
I would happily tow 750kg unbraked with it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If your tow vehicle can tow 750kg unbraked it can tow it.
Some vehicles can tow 1500kg unbraked yes it's not allowed but some are capable of it.
Me and a mate have towed 3000kg in his hilux braked with cable brakes and it towed it fine. I was driving as he had a 3 month suspension.
I would happily tow 750kg unbraked with it.
Yes, the legal definition is the lesser of either 750kg unbraked or what the manufacturer specifies. So nothing can leagaly tow 1000kg unbraked.

Heck you can squeeze 9 small people into a 5 seat car. However, if you were in an accident and your passengers were seriously hurt, you'd quickly find out how illegal doing such silly things would be, even if the crash wasnt your fault.... In this case license supsension would probably be the least of one's concerns :rolleyes:

What can be accomplished mechanically and what can be accomplished legally are two very different things :oops:

As for happily towing a 750kgs unbraked trailer, you never know what may occur infront of you. So while the trailer is hooked up, do an emergancy stop from 100kph while on a curved road and let us know whether you still feel the same. A youtube video may garnes quite a few hits and if you hit the numbers will earn you something to put towards the repairs :p