Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WM/VE no start issue..complicated lol

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
This is an out of date bulletin concerning this issue.

aerobr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Jeep SRT8, WM Caprice, VE Wagon
Oh really? Have you got updated copy? Seems strange they would change their procedure.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Very common, when new things come to light they update.

aerobr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Geezus Christ this is a pain in the ass hey. So I have to pop the top and replace them again??

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Ok, what have you put in the L77 engine, whats in it right now from your !£$%^ed L98?

What lifters?
What lifter buckets (lifter valve guides)?
What cam?
What valley cover?
What ECU?
What ECU tune?
Anything else?
Are the 8 orings that seal the oil gallery feeds from the block to the DOD cover OUT or IN?

Last edited:

aerobr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok it's the complete L77, sump to heads, including all internals. All we swapped was the L98 valley plate and L98 intake. (That's what we were advised needed changing) Still L98 pcm/ tune.(were told '11 model pcm wouldn't be compatible with '07 car) Amazing that tuners never picked up that would be an issue!
After the starting issue was resolved it ran like crap, stallong running on 4 etc then the research into what would cause it began. At no stage did anyone we spoke to advise L77 wouldn't be compatible in L98 car.

After finding that tech bulletin, intake manifold and valley plate have been removed and Oring's taken out. Tune was next planned step as a test.

Not reinstalled as yet, that was this weekend's goal if I had spare time after getting L77 tune (with dod omitted) flashed into pcm as test.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Ok, you will need to do this......

New L98 Camshaft P/N 12625439
New 8 x Standard valve lifters P/N 12576400 leave/reuse the other 8 non DOD lifters from L77 engine.
New 4x Standard lifter buckets P/N 12595365-(the DOD lifter buckets are different). Are the old L98 ones still ok? If they are use them. If it was me i'd go new, but was thinking save a few bucks.

All gaskets & bolts required for cam and lifter R & R

Re-use......(from L98),
Valley cover
Intake manifold,(with ALL the hardware from it), injectors, throttle body etc. (dont swap any parts between the two manifolds)

NOTE: The 8 valley cover O-Ring seals MUST BE LEFT IN PLACE (must be installed). Do NOT remove
them. Install them with the L98 valley cover.

Some people reuse gaskets, but if it was me I would be getting all new ones.
Of course also keep all the valve train gear in order and all that ****, so they go back into the same places if it's getting reused.

Good luck mate. Let us know how she goes.

DONT, swap anything else over from the L98 to the L77 doner engine other than what I posted.

Last edited:

aerobr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok thanks mate. I was hoping the tune might sort the issue I'm ready to burn the bastard. Went with the L77to save money rather than a quick rebuild on the L98 and beginning to regret it hey....if it's such an issue I'll wack a stick in it and be done with. Thanks for the heads up on the o ring issue that would've pissed me.off no end if I had to pull the top again!

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
L77?
OP you say it's an 2010 L76. This doesnt change anything, but is it an L77 or an L76?

aerobr

Reaction score
Members Ride
L77. Can thank autocorrect for that initial post I think, has been posted as l77 every other mention lol