Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2015 VF SV6 LACK OF POWER (FLAT SPOT)

occtec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 MY15
It's difficult for anyone to gain an understanding of the issue, let alone diagnose the cause, just from a description.
If there is an issue with the engine or tranny performance, i would expect there to be other symptoms; e.g. increased fuel consumption, (post up your's), rough idle, higher than normal running temp, etc. Have you looked under the bonnet at night with the engine running to see if there is a spark either jumping or running along the length of a lead? This would indicate an ill fitting or damaged lead that could result in similar symptoms to those you describe. Can you hear a misfire at the engine or exhaust. Does the car perform better when cold immediately after intitial daily startup? Anything like this should be documented and pointed out to your disinterested dealer.
I know you drove others prior to purchase, but if I were you I would test drive another similar car. Ideally at the same dealership. If it does not perform very similar to yours, then get the workshop supervisor / manager to drive both cars too. If there is a marked difference they would be unlikely to then simply fob you off. If you are not satisfied then burn that dealer and log a call or send an email directly to Holden. Also take it to another dealer. Just tell them it's unresponsive and the tranny doesn't feel right and request a technician drives it with you.
A word of warning - Do not tell them you had the throttle body apart! If this was to fail, e.g. one of the screws came loose and damaged your engine, you'd be on your own. Stuffed motor, no warranty.
I am quite adept at mechanical stuff, having rebuilt numerous engines, manual trannies and diffs etc and there is no way I would risk my Redline's warranty by doing that myself!
Finally at this stage I would not let any repairer near the car, unless they are a Holden dealership. Again, if you are heading down the path of a significant warranty claim (which personally I doubt), then you do not want to give Holden any reason, percieved or actual, to deny the claim due to repairs performed by others.
Find a good dealer amd repectfully demand the car is adequately diagnosed.

Couple things that I have noticed is temp sits close to halfway and yes it performs better when cold although once warmed up the throttle response is there only when intially taking off, it's just terribly unresponsive unless you put your foot to the floor whilst already driving and it sounds like it's sitting in high gear and not dropping back until your foot is about halfway to the floor, keeping in mind that this is a gentle press not jamming pedal to the metal so to speak.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Couple things that I have noticed is temp sits close to halfway and yes it performs better when cold although once warmed up the throttle response is there only when intially taking off, it's just terribly unresponsive unless you put your foot to the floor whilst already driving and it sounds like it's sitting in high gear and not dropping back until your foot is about halfway to the floor, keeping in mind that this is a gentle press not jamming pedal to the metal so to speak.
Temp sounds about right. Does it perform to your expectations if using manual shift?

occtec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 MY15
Temp sounds about right. Does it perform to your expectations if using manual shift?

From what I can recall yes, but I haven't tried since throttle body clean. Will test that out today though, going for a round through the hills. When the go pedal is not pressed down, is it meant to be sitting lower then the brake pedal? Mine seems to sit quite low I thought?

Last edited:

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Adelaide hills, love driving through there other than the fact I was in a rental corrola! German arms in schnitzel mmmm
Sounds like it's all good mechanically so that's good at least.
I've become used to squeezing the throttle a second earlier before I pull into a gap so she takes off nicely without delay. Then it's just point and shoot lol. You've got a nice car just relax and drive it.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
From what I can recall yes, but I haven't tried since throttle body clean. Will test that out today though, going for a round through the hills. When the go pedal is not pressed down, is it meant to be sitting lower then the brake pedal? Mine seems to sit quite low I thought?
Yes, that is normal.

occtec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 MY15
Adelaide hills, love driving through there other than the fact I was in a rental corrola! German arms in schnitzel mmmm
Sounds like it's all good mechanically so that's good at least.
I've become used to squeezing the throttle a second earlier before I pull into a gap so she takes off nicely without delay. Then it's just point and shoot lol. You've got a nice car just relax and drive it.

Nice pint and schnitzel, love that place also. What are you driving at the moment, cause I find the VE different to the VF is all. Didn't have that issue, had a MY14 omega, although that was a 3.0ltr SIDI so yeah like comparing apples and oranges. Anyway I'll sit on it for a while and see what happens and I'll definitely get back to you guys. Take care & thanks for all the input. Love this forum. Cheers

occtec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 MY15
My next project will be purchasing and fitting these taillights http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161849562981 the standard that come on the SV6 look terrible especially on Jungle Fever colour. May need some assistance when I get these, lol..

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Oh no not that plastic **** lol you could buy lots of go fast gear for the cost of those tail lights you can't see from the drivers seat.
I've got a 07 VE Berlina with the good ole 4 speed box that actually has a dipstick in it LOL.
Still goes like a new one at 250,000 k

occtec

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 MY15
Oh no not that plastic **** lol you could buy lots of go fast gear for the cost of those tail lights you can't see from the drivers seat.
I've got a 07 VE Berlina with the good ole 4 speed box that actually has a dipstick in it LOL.
Still goes like a new one at 250,000 k

Sounds like I've had a bad run, I had the 06 Berlina 90k and the steering column collapsed to and bottom, lol... Well I think those taillights being Genuine at least are much better looking then the stock ones, can't stand the sight of them, they look horrible on the jungle green variant yeah definitely missing the dipstick though it must have been a real dipstick that designed the idea.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Well I guess you could sell your old ones and make some money back off them but still get that tranny sorted first I reckon and spend the $$ on petrol instead :)