Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Beware VF Holden Warranty Claims are now outsourced.

J

Jingle Bells

Hi,
Does anyone who has purchased a new vehicle recently wait until the scheduled 15000 kms for the first oil change?

I have first service due at 3000kms but all it is, is a inspection.

I was thinking of getting them to do oil and filter change at this time.

Would it be worthwhile?

15000 before first oil change seems a bit long for a new engine.

cheers

I agree you should change the oil every 7000kms...but whilst it is under warranty you have to keep removing the splash plate to access the sump plug and reinstalling it....a pain....if the splash was not there you could do an oil change yourself and buy a genuine GMH oil filter....they would not notice the difference when the 150000/9mths service is due....I will be doing away with the splash plate when it is out of warranty....or if you want to pay for it at a GMH dealer it would probably cost $100+++++....you can buy the oil like Castrol Magnum for $23 per 5litre when on special at Repco...so say 8litre @ $35 + sump plug $5 + oil filter GMH $19 =$59 as against Capped price servicing @ $185 and flick and tick the service coupon.

ndwalters

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Is the time period calculated from the date you pick up the car or the manufacture date?

I assume it would be the pick up date but It worries me as I bought my car new in May 2014 (not demonstrator, just floor stock) but it was actually manufactured Dec 2013.

Just hit 1600Kms so I still have a little way to go before the first 3000Km service.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Do they really not change the oil at the 3,000km service?

I recall my first service on my Proton around then and they definitely changed the oil.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Sorry did mean magnatec....post is corrected.

I know you meant Magnatec, my post stands. Why on earth are you putting the oil that we peddle off to Ecotec owners in a brand new VF. Unless you are getting the workshop grade Magnatec Professional (that mind you is not available in any retail store) Holden would laugh you out of the workshop.

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
3000km service does not include changing of the oil, check your manual which indicates first change of oil is 15000km

slob63

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf ssv redline auto xmas
No please , not a oil thread otherwise we all will be here putting posts till 2017 and beyond. Just read the bloody manual, the recommendation is the minimum .

ozzymac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CalaisV
We know they dont change the oil at the 3000km service...

The question was whether or not owners do change the oil and filter prior to the 15,000 km service?

As its a new engine getting run in etc...

And I DID READ THE BLOODY MANUAL!!!!

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THE POSTS BEFORE COMMENTING!!!

cheers

vl_nick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon, VF Redline
I would also like to know peoples opinions on this. Considering an oil change myself at 3000km. I plan on keeping it for a long time so reckons it's worth the investment, but probably would not do it if I was only keeping for 3 years or so.