Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cammed 2005 VZ SS, Yellow sticker.

blackteeth

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SS Auto 4 speed 5.7L Gen III LS1
Honestly, I'd be asking for money back and buy something else. If he thinks it won't pass emissions and wants to pull crap off it, tell him straight up to give you your money back then, not because I don't think it will pass but it sounds like a massive farking headache to deal with. Thing sounds pretty lemon from what you've said.

Have a read of this - https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/consumer-protection/warranty-obligations-dealers
And this - https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/consumer-protection/motor-vehicle-sales-contracts-and-cooling

Highly doubt it. Regardless of what you tune for it will have to be conservative to pass emissions anyway, not to mention reeeeaaaally basic rule of thumb is that E85 uses 30% more fuel, don't really know how that translates into emissions tho. Somebody else will probably chime in.

No way, it's your responsibility to take care of legalities/engineering and generally aftermarket cams aren't primarily concerned with passing emissions. If they did this then every track car would be street legal. Because you bought it from a dealer, that pretty much renders it unroadworthy on his part.

What is this 'permit' for the cam you speak of?

ah ****, thought you could permits for this ****? I'm not too sure the coppa asked me if I had any permits for the car

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
So you're not sure if he's trying to shaft you and he's had your car for weeks, but you don't wanna get Consumer Affairs onto it? You must love pain, dunno what to tell you there. Dudes there to run a business, sounds like he's doing a top job too.

if I can get it passed the pits with the cam and exhaust n stuff, will they give me a permit then?

I have no idea what this permit you speak of is for. Are you talking about road worthy? Engineers cert? Emission cert? Is it something WA specific like mod plates for QLD or something? For the cam to be like 100% legit in east coast states is an engineers cert with an emissions test, which you/dealer will have to approach an engineer for and pay to have them engineer the car. This will also mean you/dealer have to pay for another tune to meet emissions. Nobody outside of an engineer can give you any piece of paper to do with the cam.

Unless it's super lumpy, nobody can really tell there's a different cam installed. If it were me i'd try to get a tune for emissions with the right cats and forget about whatever permit you're thinking of, then go back to whatever tune, then try to make the car as non cop bait as possible.

For cam specs you just need to find a part number and you should be able to look it up pretty easily with Google.

blackteeth

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ye that sounds about right for the cam " permit " thing. I put a link earlier in the thread for a car I found on gumtree that's got a cam and states permitted in the ad, check that out.

It is super bloody lumpy so really ye its a dead give away.

Ye I asked him for the part number weeks ago, I think it might have been custom made tho or grinded what ever.

Ye that's the plan I had in mind, kinda screwed myself with the loss of cash otherwise.

blackteeth

Reaction score
Members Ride
So you're not sure if he's trying to shaft you and he's had your car for weeks, but you don't wanna get Consumer Affairs onto it? You must love pain, dunno what to tell you there. Dudes there to run a business, sounds like he's doing a top job too.

I have no idea what this permit you speak of is for. Are you talking about road worthy? Engineers cert? Emission cert? Is it something WA specific like mod plates for QLD or something? For the cam to be like 100% legit in east coast states is an engineers cert with an emissions test, which you/dealer will have to approach an engineer for and pay to have them engineer the car. This will also mean you/dealer have to pay for another tune to meet emissions. Nobody outside of an engineer can give you any piece of paper to do with the cam.

Unless it's super lumpy, nobody can really tell there's a different cam installed. If it were me i'd try to get a tune for emissions with the right cats and forget about whatever permit you're thinking of, then go back to whatever tune, then try to make the car as non cop bait as possible.

For cam specs you just need to find a part number and you should be able to look it up pretty easily with Google.

Found this ad, https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/can...es/permitted-486hp-2012-ve-thunder/1156968559

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
That guy is talking about an engineers cert, nobody but an automotive engineer that is approved by the WA government can give you one. You can't get it at a local mechanic, you can't get it from the government, you can't get it from going over the pits, you can't get it from having an emissions test (but an emissions test is part of having one). Would still do what I said in my last post.

Depending on how big the cam is there are a few things that a tuner should be able to do to make it not appear so massive. It also not being super loud would probably be the first good one too.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
The challenge is emissions certifying your tune. Doesn’t matter guessing what cam, it needs better emissions control (proper cats at least) and tuned so it doesn’t belch out hydrocarbons.
Get quote / call tune shops with 4 / 5 gas vehicle test rig. With independent advice you will know if it can be done at what cost to pass the WA emissions certificate, hence make an informed decision about kicking arse or sticking with it.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
ye ive already contacted consumer affairs they are keen to help me but I didn't want to sick them on the bloke. It is a ******* headache but I cant find anything else like it around here, it actually drives really really well. I fixed a heap of **** on it aswell myself like the door actuator and the clock spring in the stearing wheel and heaps of other ****.

I don't want to sell back to him because he dodged the recipets....i gave him a 500 deposit and he gave me recipet saying 9grand for car, came back to buy it few days later and he put 13grand on the reciept and like lined it out than put 9. and I traded in my vz Calais for it, if I where to get money back for the car id loose like 4grand.

if I can get it passed the pits with the cam and exhaust n stuff, will they give me a permit then?

I'm pretty dumb when it comes to this ****, first time having to deal with all of this, only ever had 100% stock cars.

So what I'm gathering form this is, the car yard is an out right shonk. Dodging receipts....Sellling unroadworthy cars and not wanting to rectify it etc etc....

My suggestion.....Get the shonk to roadworthy the car, or get the shonk to refund your money unless you like headaches associated with it. Yes a modified car is nicer to drive than a stocky (generally speaking), but the fact you have a thread on here about the car being defected for being modified shows it's one big pain in the rectum....(And I have no objections with modified cars wither)

H

harrop.senator

Roadbend Jaguar is usually 450 for a 5 gas. Terry Southam wants drug money for permits wanted $1200 to engineer a twin Cam turbo swap in to a 31. 6 years ago same swap was $400. 3.5 years ago same seap into vl was $900 Price changes every time I ring him.. dno who the go is anymore .

Last edited by a moderator:

blackteeth

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ye I think I should go with the engineer cert's for cam n etc because really I should be able to make the car dealer pay for that.

Technically speaking this car should have been certified by an engineer before he sold it off.

Ye I'm not too sure if I want to take the cam out. Car dealer has agreed do put stock cam in and etc and pass over pits for me but we are still discussing the options. He wants to take most of the **** off the car, only bought the car because it had these things already done to it.

Ye I also think what R_J_K said is a good idea, maybe chuck stock exhaust back on aswell and a tune, that should pass emissions without taking the cam out

blackteeth

Reaction score
Members Ride
I shoulda just bought a fuckin stock car n modified it myself!