Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clutching at straws

Taz_SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Hey guys,

Got me VE S1 SSV manual ute. I’ve had a fair few manuals but never had to replace a clutch. So I always thought the symptoms of a clutch replacement was the clutch slipping. And by slipping I thought low revs, low speed, high gear, release clutch and accelerate,the revs will go up with no speed change hence clutch has slipped.

However, my symptoms, hard to find reverse, and very notchy into gears like I can feel the gates or mechanics thru the shifter rather then being smooth. Clutch or gearbox?

Thanks.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
When was the last time the gearbox fluid was changed?

Taz_SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Maybe like 15,000 ago. I’ve also noticed the clutch fades so after a high rev shift or heavy launch I gotta slip my toe under clutch and lift it up of the floor.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Yeah, they aren't cheap.

I want to try and look after mine as much as I can.

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Hey guys,

Got me VE S1 SSV manual ute. I’ve had a fair few manuals but never had to replace a clutch. So I always thought the symptoms of a clutch replacement was the clutch slipping. And by slipping I thought low revs, low speed, high gear, release clutch and accelerate,the revs will go up with no speed change hence clutch has slipped.

However, my symptoms, hard to find reverse, and very notchy into gears like I can feel the gates or mechanics thru the shifter rather then being smooth. Clutch or gearbox?

Thanks.
Most probably bent, broken or cracked release levers( fingers) on the pressure plate.

Lensman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
The clutch staying low is a known issue when driven hard. I'd be trying a really good quality gearbox oil first. Penrite Pro Gear 70w-75 fully synth for example.
"Full synthetic, high performance gear oil meeting the performance requirements of API GL-4 Plus. Designed for 5 and 6 speed manual gearboxes and transaxles in passenger cars and 4WDs. It is ideal in manual gearboxes and transfer cases that require automatic transmission fluids, or in vehicles that are suffering from shift quality problems with higher viscosity fluids.
Key Specifications: API GL-4 Plus, Tremec (T-56)"