Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How to remove oil sump? vr commodore

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
cool ill try to do it that way along with lowering the crossmember, thanks
good way to stuff things like rear engine mount and dangerous. at work we used a bar welded up with a chain and screw mechanism that sits across the strut towers hooked to engine lift points
see attached pic below

hook.JPG

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
I don't recommend this method. ( The block of wood method from post #9)

A mates brother was killed when a pooly supported camper trailer came down on him.
He left behind a wife and two small kids.

Not worth the risk. Use the correct equipment.

SiKC.VR

hoon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
these are the bolts holding the crossmember, if i remove them thats the only thing holding the motor so yeh
labeled1.jpg

if i put the jack under the trans to hold the motor?
labeled3.jpg

SiKC.VR

hoon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
I don't recommend this method. ( The block of wood method from post #9)

A mates brother was killed when a pooly supported camper trailer came down on him.
He left behind a wife and two small kids.

Not worth the risk. Use the correct equipment.

thats a camper trailer, lol i just need to support the motor somehow to get to the sump idc how since im not going to do further work to it i dont see reason to buy a engine crane for this particular job. if i die then atleast i tried aha :)

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
for your own safety as me and the other d00d said, dont use post #9 method, far too dangerous. get a simple engine hook like i pictured, i think u can get them commercially or hire them? its not a engine crane, it is better.
and as for your images of bolts to undo, you dont need to undo the castor rod bolts and you dont need to undo the control arm bolts, just let the cross member hang off of them and its fine. less you undo the far easier your job is.

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
and that last pic of were you want to put the stand will be no good. thats the bell housing cover and that will need to be removed to get the sump off.

+1 for engine hook or welded cross brace. we use a cross brace at work and its far Superior than a piece of wood that will end bad.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
thats a camper trailer, lol i just need to support the motor somehow to get to the sump idc how since im not going to do further work to it i dont see reason to buy a engine crane for this particular job. if i die then atleast i tried aha :)

I'm sorry but I fail to see the humor in this.

Who cares what it was that killed him.
The point is if you fail to use the correct equipment, you are putting yourself and others at risk.

The fact that you have shown the incorrect bolts to undo makes me think you would be better off paying a qualified person with the correct equipment to do the job for you.
A least that way there is no risk.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
The problem with the sky hooks that wateva is recommending is that they will tend to fall down because the atmosphere doesn't support them very well. I doubt that they are going to support the claimed 700 lbs.

I don't like discouraging people, but SiKC.VR your posts do not inspire confidence in your ability to do the job. Yes, maybe consider putting back together anything that you have already pulled apart and paying someone else to do it.

If you insist on risking improving the gene pool or personal injury, like a crushed hand, support the engine with the beam across the strut towers or inner guards as TheIceman, RX25SE and moff_man are suggesting.

Undo the 15mm head nuts for the engine mounts first and lift the engine off the K frame before you undo the bolts for the K frame. That way you know the engine weight is supported.

There are 4 vertical 19mm head bolts that hold the K frame. Support the K frame with a jack before you undo them. With the steering rack dropped out of the K frame first.

Disconnect the battery earth before you start.

Last edited:

SiKC.VR

hoon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
you guys have changed my mind about the whole aspect, i didn't know it was going to be this hard just to remove the damm cu nt. I think as all of yous have said, ill definately be better of doing the job safely using the right equipment, id rather pay for a skyhook then lash out 100s for a mechanic to do this simple job. , :emb: ill keep yous posted...

Deneo

Lock your Daughters up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV Statesman
I fail to see how you can support 2 tonne cars with jack stands but you can't support a 500kgish Motor/trans? The block of wood is just to even the load so you don't dent the trans sump.