Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Not serviced for 3 years

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
just get a major service done and stop worrying.

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
just get a major service done and stop worrying.
This.

Oil change and Brake fluid would be most important.

Other than that pump your tyres up, they wouldn't be flat spotted as its still driven 4000km over the 3 years.

Coolant, trans oil and diff oil are usually good for 5 years so depending if they were done previously.

Other than that give it a good run and you'll be fine.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
@panhead - The tyres are inflated correctly, I did check this when the thought popped in my head every so often. As for the fuel I only ever put 20 litres or so in it at a time as I was atleast awear that fuel does go off. The K's it has done were mainly out of guilt having it sit there doing nothing so I dont think the tyres have flat spots.

My mistake, I misread it to read you hadn’t driven the car or performed any maintenance on it in 3 years.

I moved one last week that had been sitting in the shed for 2 years and as we pushed it out onto the sloping concrete drive the first thing I noticed was even though it had a brake service a few weeks before it was stored it had no brakes, luckily the handbrake stopped it from rolling down into the pool.

When the pedal went clean to the floor I had a moment when the butterflies in my stomach quickly turned to Pterodactyls.

A rookie error as I didn’t even think to try and pump the brakes up before we started to push it out and I should have known better as I’d had it happen before.

I’m not sure what I would have done if it had an electric handbrake.

It doesn’t apply in your case as you've been driving the vehicle on and off for short distances but if you have one that has been standing without use for some time, check everything that is vital before moving it as you never know what may have perished.

Rossimo’s comment about the AC is a good one, as the seals in the compressor can go very quickly without use and the compressor can leak or go bang when you turn it on. It an unnecessary expense that a little between time maintenance can avoid.

vfeffed

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SV6 Manual
I’m not sure what I would have done if it had an electric handbrake.

Rossimo’s comment about the AC is a good one, as the seals in the compressor can go very quickly without use and the compressor can leak or go bang when you turn it on. It an unnecessary expense that a little between time maintenance can avoid.

I think you would have been swimming! Glad it was a good outcome

The AC is working fine thankfully.

I changed the oil today, it was as black as night :eek:. Also changed the filter which also looked very dirty.

Would it be worth giving it another oil change in a 1000ks or so?

Thanks

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director

I changed the oil today, it was as black as night :eek:. Also changed the filter which also looked very dirty.

Thanks
No it should be right if it was well drained

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Thanks

if it was my vehicle i would because it cant hurt and it is only around $100 bucks also i would change the coolant too if you have not done that.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS

Thanks

Probably no need to change it that soon.
Maybe after 5000 km

vfeffed

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SV6 Manual
OK I'll leave the oil change for a bit.

Coolant is next.

How hard is the brake fluid flush? Seen Youtube vids looks manageable. Haven't done one before, any tips? Getting to the bleed valve looks much easier if I remove the wheel(s).

syked

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 WM Caprice
OK I'll leave the oil change for a bit.

Coolant is next.

How hard is the brake fluid flush? Seen Youtube vids looks manageable. Haven't done one before, any tips? Getting to the bleed valve looks much easier if I remove the wheel(s).

You could get yourself a turkey baster or some other syringe tool to suck out the fluid from the master cylinder. Then top up with new fluid then use the bleed valves on each wheel. Always make sure you have eboeno fluid in the master cylinder.

If you're doing by yourself, make sure you also have enough fluid in the bottle or container you use for the bleeding so you don't suck air back into the system.

vfeffed

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SV6 Manual
You could get yourself a turkey baster or some other syringe tool to suck out the fluid from the master cylinder. Then top up with new fluid then use the bleed valves on each wheel. Always make sure you have eboeno fluid in the master cylinder.

If you're doing by yourself, make sure you also have enough fluid in the bottle or container you use for the bleeding so you don't suck air back into the system.

Thanks mate, have a kit on the way from eBay. Looks like I'll have to remove 1 wheel at a time to get access to the valve which is ok..