Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Radio Doesn't Shut Off

Jye-forro

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Calais v6
Hey all I’ve got a vf ssv 2013
The radio doesn’t shut off after I’ve exited the car and it’s off is this a setting I can change to turn it off instantly when I leave.. or is it the drivers door actuator?
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’m sick of having the battery flat due to it staying on

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the radio gets a canbus command to switch off when you turn the ignition off and open the door and it also gets a message to turn off after a certain amount of time with the ignition off ( ~10 minutes ).

if none of that is happening then something is wrong with the message being sent to the radio.

possibly damaged loom to the radio or something wrong with the radio?

you could try disconnect the battery for 5 minutes to reset everything and see if it corrects the issue.

Jye-forro

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Calais v6
Legend thank you I have noticed it turns off after a while haven’t actually counted but it would be around the 10 minute mark so I’m guessing my battery is on its last legs thank u got your answer

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If i've understood the system correctly, the CAN message is initiated by the BCM when it detects the driver opening the door.

The BCM does the door position detection via the door ajar switch. If the door ajar switch is faulty, then the BCM can't detect the door being open and thus can't turn off Mylink and other parts of the car (which usually means you get a flat battery).

Legend thank you I have noticed it turns off after a while haven’t actually counted but it would be around the 10 minute mark so I’m guessing my battery is on its last legs thank u got your answer
if the door ajar switch isn't working, then the BCM would presumably still turn off the radio after specified time from engine shutdown (but may or may not turn off other parts of he system)... Such behaviour doesn't mean the battery is on its last legs ;)

Last edited:

Jye-forro

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Calais v6
If i've understood the system correctly, the CAN message is initiated by the BCM when it detects the driver opening the door.

The BCM does the door position detection via the door ajar switch. If the door ajar switch is faulty, then the BCM can't detect the door being open and thus can't turn off Mylink and other parts of the car (which usually means you get a flat battery).

if the door ajar switch isn't working, then the BCM would presumably still turn off the radio after specified time from engine shutdown (but may or may not turn off other parts of he system)... Such behaviour doesn't mean the battery is on its last legs ;)
Sweet as thank u so where is the door ajar switch placated please? Or is it a stupid one and I gotta replace door actuator?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sweet as thank u so where is the door ajar switch placated please? Or is it a stupid one and I gotta replace door actuator?
There is no obvious button on the b-pillar that the door pushes on so i'd guess the door ajar switch is part of the door lock assembly.

And a quick look at the workshop manual (pdf) doesn't clarify the siuation either.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
well that rules out the question if it is a comms issue.

so now to test the door, does the interior light turn on when you open the drivers door and do you get any message that the door is open while the vehicle is running if you open the door.
if either of these happen then it is not the door sensor because it is detecting the door open.

Jye-forro

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Calais v6
well that rules out the question if it is a comms issue.

so now to test the door, does the interior light turn on when you open the drivers door and do you get any message that the door is open while the vehicle is running if you open the door.
if either of these happen then it is not the door sensor because it is detecting the door open.
I didn’t think of the lights, everything responds to the door as it usually should except the radio doesn’t switch off… I get key left in car reminders ect when opening door so it’s registered that I’ve opened it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I didn’t think of the lights, everything responds to the door as it usually should except the radio doesn’t switch off… I get key left in car reminders ect when opening door so it’s registered that I’ve opened it.
Well that adds complexity to the fault finding process :p

With such isues, I'd guess i'd be great to have a protocol analyser to see all the communications messages flying around a specific busses connected to a specific device. You'd be able to see if the expected message is send. I'm not sure if GM makes such a service diagnostics tool.

But as the BCM is some sort of master controller that converts messages between the various busses, as a straw clutch excercise I'd consider disconnecting and reconnecting all the connectors on th BCM itself and then do the same with the Mylink connectors. Such can clean dirty contacts and thus clean up the recieved signals a little (yeaj clutching at straws)

Obviously the old turn it off turn it on cold reboot is the easiest thing to do what stooge suggested you try first, so do that as step #1 :p

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
When you say the battery is going flat, do you mean you're still able to start the car but the cranking sounds like a bad battery ... or are you replacing the battery regularly?

If it's the slow cranking thing, replacing the battery might even fix the radio-staying-on problem. Batteries getting to the end of their life seem to cause all sorts of weird electrical issues in VF's.

If you're replacing the battery regularly then that's a different deal.